Wyeast 1098 Smells Like Rotten Eggs?

Brewing 2 years have not seen this and searching here and elsewhere could not find the question. First time using Wyeast 1098 British Ale. Opened the pack to add to my starter and it SMELLS super strong of rotten eggs. My wife even smelled it from across the kitchen. Is this foul smell normal or should I go to my backup dry yeast? Smack pack was totally flat when I bought it today and it swelled up just fine. Thanks!

I use 1098 often, but have never noticed that. Your sense of smell could be better than mine, though. Personally, I wouldn’t risk a batch of beer if I thought there was an issue with the yeast. What was the date?

The date is 27 Dec 2011 so I figured it would be good but this is really horrible. It is not “slightly” rotten eggs, it makes me gag. I will go with the backup dry stuff. Thanks!

English ale yeasts will sometimes through off SO2. RDWAHAHB.

Make the starter and taste it after it ferment out. It prob won’t taste wonderful whether it’s good or not, but it will let you know if there is something horribly wrong if its bad I’d think.