WY1214/WLP500 Temperatures

I just upgraded my temperature controller so that it can raise/lower fermentation temp over time in a controlled manner.

Now that I have this feature, I’m unsure how to use it for best effect. For Belgian style recipes, I’m reading that you want to keep temps at the low range at the beginning, then let the temp rise over a few days. So what, let it start climbing once a good krausen appears?

My first experiment letting temps rise will be with WLP 500 in Petite Orange, the Wyeast version of this strain has been good to me in the past. But once I get going, I want to re-try some Recipes with WY3522 & WY3722 both of which have left me with under-attenuated foamers in the past. (A tripel foamer is a real disappointment.)

So what sort of temperature/time profile is recommended? Is it like I said, start at the low end, then allow a slow rise into the 80’s over 2-3 days after a day or two at the low end?

IMHO it’s something along those lines.

Start at the low end for a minimum of 72 hours, then let rise to the 80’s for however long it takes to hit FG.

I’ve started low and let free rise, right from the start, but had some fusels.

It can be tricky to get the attenuation needed without making a hot beer.

[quote=“tasty390”]
Start at the low end for a minimum of 72 hours, then let rise to the 80’s for however long it takes to hit FG.

I’ve started low and let free rise, right from the start, but had some fusels.

It can be tricky to get the attenuation needed without making a hot beer.[/quote]
Good and timely reply, I just brewed this batch yesterday. I was going to start the ramp today, but now I’ll keep it low a bit longer.