Wy 1469

I brewed the Innkeeper BIAB last Friday 4/5, only deviation from the recipe was the addition of 1/2 pound of DME late in the boil. I boiled for 75 mins and ended with a 1.053 OG.

BS2 and MrMalty both said 1.88L starter. I had done a 1L in a sanitized distilled water gal jug agitated for 2 days, fridge overnight, decanted then added 2L wort, agitated for 2 days, fridge overnight, decanted and pitched at 62 degrees.

Fermentation kicked off overnight, woke to a good head of krauesen and bubbling away thru the blowoff hose, swamp cooler kept temps in low 60s until Tuesday when I took the fermenter out of the cooler to let temp rise for D rest.

It’s stayed 66-68 on the fermometer ever since. The odd thing, for me, is that today it still has a very high head of krauesen, almost up in the neck. Luckily I didn’t remove the blow off hose. Is this normal for 1469? First time I’ve used it in my extensive brewing career(9 batches).

I have also experienced a stubborn kreusen when using WY1469. I went ahead and bottled after my hydrometer readings were consistent for three consecutive days. IIRC, that beer was in the primary for three weeks in the mid to low 60’s.

J

[quote=“Barliman”]I have also experienced a stubborn kreusen when using WY1469. I went ahead and bottled after my hydrometer readings were consistent for three consecutive days. IIRC, that beer was in the primary for three weeks in the mid to low 60’s.

J[/quote]

You still had krauesen after 3 weeks? I’ll definitely let the hydrometer tell me when it’s done. This one is going to the keg and I was hoping to do so in 2 weeks or less.

Rock your fermentor a few times a day and it should break up and fall in.

It could also be situational. I had a krausen that stayed for two weeks using 1272 (American Ale II). The beer was pretty much fermented out and it probably would have lasted longer if I hadn’t racked into a secondary.

I rocked it a bit when I got home this evening and most of the krauesen fell apart and sank to the bottom right away. It seems to be mostly fermented with only the occassional bubble through the tube so I put on an airlock and will take a gravity reading in a few days. Thanks for that suggestion 560sdl!

I rocked it a bit when I got home this evening and most of the krauesen fell apart and sank to the bottom right away. It seems to be mostly fermented with only the occassional bubble through the tube so I put on an airlock and will take a gravity reading in a few days. Thanks for that suggestion 560sdl![/quote]

No prob, I have had to do that several times. Once it breaks up it falls right out

I rocked it a bit when I got home this evening and most of the krauesen fell apart and sank to the bottom right away. It seems to be mostly fermented with only the occassional bubble through the tube so I put on an airlock and will take a gravity reading in a few days. Thanks for that suggestion 560sdl![/quote]

No prob, I have had to do that several times. Once it breaks up it falls right out[/quote]

Apparenty roused some yeast again to though. Thought I’d take a gravity reading this morning but it had a nice thick head of foam on the surface again. Obviously no where near done fermenting. It did break up again when I rocked it.

Kegged the Innkeeper Thursday after 2 day cold crash. Hooked CO2 up to the liquid out valve at 20psi rocked it for a couple minutes then left it for about 6 hours. Dialed back to 8 psi and pulled the first pint around 7 tonight. Man this is a great beer! Simple, fast and so good! I brewed the extract version with Notty and liked it. This AG version with wy1469 is even tastier. Glad I harvested a couple mason jars of the yeast for future Innkeepers. I’ll want to keep this on tap constantly.

That is hands down my favorite British yeast, it’s a strong attenuator and leaves that awesome stone fruit apricot peach thing behind… AND drops clear on its own.

Also, for the krausen, I do gravity checks as usual to confirm its done and then rack right through it and underneath it, never been an issue, just odd behavior from most other yeasts.

[quote=“duckmanco”]That is hands down my favorite British yeast, it’s a strong attenuator and leaves that awesome stone fruit apricot peach thing behind… AND drops clear on its own.

Also, for the krausen, I do gravity checks as usual to confirm its done and then rack right through it and underneath it, never been an issue, just odd behavior from most other yeasts.[/quote]
I read something recently that indicated 1469 is a top cropping yeast. I guess that sort of explains it right?

It’s definitely a top cropper for sure, and worrying about breaking up the krausen is pointless IMO. Just rack from underneath and enjoy that killer recipe.

Also, do yourself a favor and repitch the slurry into another beer, any recipe you would use an American or British Ale yeast in - you will not be sorry.