WY 1450: Amber ale, folowed by IPA

First experience with Denny’s 1450.

First I plan to make an amber, and then pitch 2nd gen into an IPA. I have read accounts of the yeast having mediocre attenuation, especially with the first pitch. So that is one reason why I plan on doing the amber first.

I also read about this “silky” mouthfeel. I can see that being an asset in a balanced or malty style (like the amber). But that description kind of throws me for how it would do in an IPA. Then again it is also regarded as being versatile, and I have seen recipes for IPAs using it. Should I compensate (more than otherwise, for IPA style) with lower mash temp or add sugar due to this “silky” quality?

Also, as far as temp goes, any specific recomemmendation beyond the typical “low 60s”. I was thinking of maybe starting out at 66 for the amber but keeping the IPA lower closer to 60-62.

As always, thanks for any suggestions.

[quote=“Steeler D”]First experience with Denny’s 1450.

First I plan to make an amber, and then pitch 2nd gen into an IPA. I have read accounts of the yeast having mediocre attenuation, especially with the first pitch. So that is one reason why I plan on doing the amber first.

I also read about this “silky” mouthfeel. I can see that being an asset in a balanced or malty style (like the amber). But that description kind of throws me for how it would do in an IPA. Then again it is also regarded as being versatile, and I have seen recipes for IPAs using it. Should I compensate (more than otherwise, for IPA style) with lower mash temp or add sugar due to this “silky” quality?

Also, as far as temp goes, any specific recomemmendation beyond the typical “low 60s”. I was thinking of maybe starting out at 66 for the amber but keeping the IPA lower closer to 60-62.

As always, thanks for any suggestions.[/quote]

FWIW, I kegged a beer made with first generation 1450 yesterday. Got 78% attenuation with it. Using it today on a batch of Rye IPA. I mash that at 153 and add no sugar. There’s really no need to “compensate”. I like to start it at 62-64 for 5 days to a week, then let it go to the upper 60s/low 70s.