WTD: Dorm-sized fridge suggestions

I’m looking to get a better handle on my fermentation temps.

My current situation doesn’t allow me to buy a full-size fridge for the garage, but I do have a spot that a small “dorm-sized” fridge would fit (which in conjunction with a temp-control system would be the plan).

Problem is all the ones I find have that “hump” on the inside bottom that prevents adding a fermenting bucket.

Can anyone point me to a manufacturer or model that will fit a bucket?

thanks…

Not sure about the fridge model, but you could consider fermenting in these if space is an issue-

same grade plastic as ale pails, sealable, you just need to drill a hole and fit it with a rubber gasket for an airlock

https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... CG0Q8gIwAw

pat on the back btw about controlling ferment temps.

Interesting. Have you used one of these?

[quote=“pointyskull”][quote=“Pietro”]
same grade plastic as ale pails, sealable, you just need to drill a hole and fit it with a rubber gasket for an airlock

https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... CG0Q8gIwAw

[/quote]

Interesting. Have you used one of these?[/quote]

I haven’t personally, but was considering it as I THOUGHT my ferm fridge could only hold one fermenter, though I can fit a second one on top of the pesky condenser ‘bump’ if I use a blowoff an not an airlock. I think there are actually online retailers that sell them ‘modified’ for homebrewing/fermenting.

Its really the exact same thing as an ale pail - high density polyethylene. I actually use one of my decommissioned ale pails to store my pooch’s food, to the chagrin of the vittles vault folk!

I feel your pain on space. We live in a 950sqft rowhouse with a small back patio and no garage (though we do have a basement where I keep most of my brewing stuff!)

Interesting query. I recently bought a dorm fridge (not super small) and realized too a 6.5 gallon bucket wouldn’t work. I removed all of the shelves, including the one attached to the door. After removing, I then reinstalled the rubber gasket and used caulk to fix gaps. On its lowest setting the fridge sits at 63 degrees, which is almost ideal for ales. The coldest setting registers 33 degrees. Going to use the dial to monitor temps until I build another temp control device. I currently have one on my upright freezer which is converted to a kegerator.

I purchased a wine chiller. I am able to fit a bucket or carboy in it. It will only fit one 6 gallon fermenter but it will fit other small bottles or jugs in it at the same time. I had a five gallon and one gallon batch at the same time. It is priced for $199 which is way more than I paid for it. It was on sale. But you may be able to find one on ebay or at a salvage store.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Vissani-52-B ... T6P_hyG0QU

I’m wondering if anyone out there has removed the door of one of these dorm fridges and added a collar (similar to that of a keezer). I was considering doing this when I scored a free fridge, so never got the chance.

I have a Danby Kegerator that can nicely fit a full sized keg or a full sized carboy with air lock while still having room for beer. I’ve got a lager going at the moment, will switch it out with a pale ale keg when that’s done, and simply have a heck of a lot of beer varieties when that keg is empty.

As an active participant of this thread, I would like to ask a seemingly easy question. You can’t fit anything bigger than a dorm fridge in your GARAGE!? I fit a 7cuft. chest freezer in my 5’ ceilinged storage basement!

DECLUTTER!

:cheers:

[quote=“Pietro”]As an active participant of this thread, I would like to ask a seemingly easy question. You can’t fit anything bigger than a dorm fridge in your GARAGE!? I fit a 7cuft. chest freezer in my 5’ ceilinged storage basement!

DECLUTTER!

:cheers: [/quote]

HA! The problem is the electrical situation in my garage. Outlet location not conducive to a fridge/freezer, so unless I have electrical work done that’s a no go.

The small dorm fridge I’m considering would be in a our “office”/third bedroom…

I would seriously consider a small chest freezer over the dorm fridge. Just my thoughts, but I can fit 2 15 gallon fermenters in my mid sized chest freezer along with 2 cornie kegs, leaving the “hump” as extra storage for yeast and beer bottles… YMMV, of course.

[quote=“pointyskull”][quote=“Pietro”]As an active participant of this thread, I would like to ask a seemingly easy question. You can’t fit anything bigger than a dorm fridge in your GARAGE!? I fit a 7cuft. chest freezer in my 5’ ceilinged storage basement!

DECLUTTER!

:cheers: [/quote]

HA! The problem is the electrical situation in my garage. Outlet location not conducive to a fridge/freezer, so unless I have electrical work done that’s a no go.

The small dorm fridge I’m considering would be in a our “office”/third bedroom…[/quote]

You know whats great about chest freezers? The fact that they can double as desks.

:wink:

Can you run an extension cord? I have an extension cord running across my basement to my freezer/ferm chest. A $22 investment clipped with wire hiders around to a spot where it is conducive to put a fridge/freezer is better than buying a sub-par piece of gear. Plus you don’t have to clutter up your ‘office’, which SWMBO will give you props for.

Here’s a recent thought, since I own 2 dorm fridges - can you run them on their backs, and build a tall “collar” to fit in kegs or fermenters?

[quote=“harpdog”]Here’s a recent thought, since I own 2 dorm fridges - can you run them on their backs, and build a tall “collar” to fit in kegs or fermenters?

[/quote]

Nope…Fridge won’t run long that way, if at all, as the oil will flow out of the compreesor into the refrigerant lines.

Thanks - I don’t know stuff like that!

In fact, if you take a refrigerator or freezer and lay it on its back or side, when you set it up right, you need to give it at least 24 hours before turning it on.

Also, most dorm refrigerators breath from the back and it would overheat quickly

I kind of like the idea I saw someplace of turning a closet into a walk-in kegerator/ferm chamber with a window air conditioner.

[quote=“harpdog”]Here’s a recent thought, since I own 2 dorm fridges - can you run them on their backs, and build a tall “collar” to fit in kegs or fermenters?

[/quote]
one could probably do that standing in a upright position and avoid the hump in back altogether

[quote=“tankie”][quote=“harpdog”]Here’s a recent thought, since I own 2 dorm fridges - can you run them on their backs, and build a tall “collar” to fit in kegs or fermenters?

[/quote]
one could probably do that standing in a upright position and avoid the hump in back altogether[/quote]

Hmmmmm…4 cheap casters on each unit, a stout piano hinge between the two, and figure out the magnetic door seals so that when you swing them together, they would attract to each other…

[quote=“Stealthcruiser”][quote=“tankie”][quote=“harpdog”]Here’s a recent thought, since I own 2 dorm fridges - can you run them on their backs, and build a tall “collar” to fit in kegs or fermenters?

[/quote]
one could probably do that standing in a upright position and avoid the hump in back altogether[/quote]

Hmmmmm…4 cheap casters on each unit, a stout piano hinge between the two, and figure out the magnetic door seals so that when you swing them together, they would attract to each other…[/quote]

I like when my lame thoughts are given the possibility of being OK. I imagine a space just big enough for a fermenter and maybe a keg - or two kegs…I wonder what the ramifications of the extra (probably uninsulated) space would be?