Wort

very new at this and have been reading conflicting reports
on when to add my lme to the wort. also what is the difference
as far as results from adding lme or dme? my first recipe has both.

I think it depends on infusion amount and color. I know for darker beer it doesn’t really matter, but for lighter ones you want to add at the end. If it’s a hopped extract then I believe those go in early to impart the hop bitterness.

thank you. will it affect the beer if the lme gets added while the wort is boiling?
recipe says to remove from heat source while adding.

[quote=“marksbrews”]thank you. will it affect the beer if the lme gets added while the wort is boiling?
recipe says to remove from heat source while adding.[/quote]
The instruction to remove from the heat when adding LME or DME, is to prevent scorching on the kettle bottom if the extract drops and sticks.

[quote=“flars”][quote=“marksbrews”]thank you. will it affect the beer if the lme gets added while the wort is boiling?
recipe says to remove from heat source while adding.[/quote]
The instruction to remove from the heat when adding LME or DME, is to prevent scorching on the kettle bottom if the extract drops and sticks.[/quote]
Extract dropping to the bottom of the kettle and getting even more caramalized contributes to extract brews reputation for being darker, and finishing higher than the equivalent all grain recipie. Maybe that’s a big concern for you, or maybe not. Pulling the kettle off the burner, and adding LME later in the boil are simply tips to minimize this effect. You have to have SOME sugar in from the start. (Something about hop utilization, that I never memorized.) Adding extract later in the boil is just fine. Before I made the switch to AG, I noticed that some of NB’s extract kits were starting to include later extract editions too. Try doing it, and see. Although as pointed out, If you’re making a dark beer, who cares if it’s a bit darker?

Another thing I noticed when I started extract brewing is that adding a large amount of LME or DME to boiling water while still on the heat source can also give you a boil over in a few seconds if you’re not quick to stir it in.

So that and the possible scorching makes it more beneficial to just remove the kettle from the heat and stire in the extract then bring it back to a boil.