Wort Temp?

Ok another newbie question. I just finishing putting my fifth one gallon batch into the fermenter. So I was trying to figure out what temp you cook your wort at. This was another American wheat so we all will have something to enjoy together. Anyway can anyone give me a temp?? Thanks for your help…

Cook as in boil? Boil at what ever temp you get a boil. You don’t need a “jump out of the pot” boil. Just a good rolling boil. Above a simmer.

I’m sure you recall that boiling occurs at different temps based on the elevation[/url]. And if you really want to get technical, by [url=http://www.csgnetwork.com/h2oboilcalc.html]barometric pressure

Cook as in ferment? You will likely find that fermentation in the low to mid 60’s produce a “cleaner” beer. But some beers are good with the esters produced in the upper 60’s and low 70’s.

Yep cook as in boil… Thanks for the info. I just wasn’t sure if I needed to just keep a good rolling boil or just hot enough to barely call it a boil… and thanks again…

This is a question that everyone crashes into at some point. The stock answer is “a vigorous boil.”

The real answer is a lot more complicated, but seeing as you’re a new brewer on a small scale, I think we can say you just need to boil it for one hour. Do not worry about the temperature, boiling will occur around 212F, depending upon your altitude.

As you gain experience, you’ll develop an eye for the type of boil you prefer. As an all grain brewer of small beers, I like a really hard boil to encourage kettle flavors. When I brew big, however, I know I’ve got tons of malt that will smother an hour’s worth of kettle flavors, so I boil hard to get the gravity down.

When I brew Belgian Strong Ale, I boil hard and short. I don’t want any unnecessary color.

boiling is boiling.

as long as you’ve got a boil, you’ll be good. not too complicated…

I prefer to keep a churning boil. I don’t like to lose volume from the boil if it’s leaping out of the kettle - so keep it steady.

Some prefer to boil for 90 minutes, some prefer 60 minutes. If you’re losing a lot of volume to evaporation, i’d limit your boil to 60 minutes. If you’re not losing much, 90 minutes is an option.

I typically boil for 75-90 minutes. Although there’s nothing wrong with a 60 minute boil. As mentioned, if it’s boiling, 60 minutes should be sufficient.