Wort Chiller Question

We just bought a wort chiller and am confused by the instructions that came with it. They say that I need to put it into the wort when there is 20 min left of the boil. Why would you do that rather than put it in afterwards? Seems to me that boiling copper would leach copper into the beer. Does anyone have an explanation for me? Thanks!!

The copper flavor will not leech into your beer…and the reason for putting it into the kettle during the last 20 min of the boil is to sanitize it…common practice…won’t hurt a thing! Cheers! :cheers:

It’s a good idea to clean it before the first use. Boil it in some water for 10 minutes and then it should be good to go.

I wash mine then soak it in sanitizer before and after each use.

I boiled mine for 30 minutes dumped that water out and then boiled it for another 30 minutes. I’m not sure if that was needed but that is what my local shop told me to do in order to prevent the copper from leaching into the beer.

[quote=“sprintman82x”]I boiled mine for 30 minutes dumped that water out and then boiled it for another 30 minutes. I’m not sure if that was needed but that is what my loc
l shop told me to do in order to prevent the copper from leeching into the beer.[/quote]

Strange advice. People have cooked with copper pots forever.

I throw mine in for the last 10-15 minutes of the boil, but sometimes forget and have to throw into a bucket of StarSan for a couple minutes. Either way seems fine to me. I prefer the boil because I normally have other stuff in my StarSan bucket.