Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Wort chiller problem - did I just waste a batch?

Hi, I’ve just acquired a second hand wort chiller. It looked clean so I gave it a good rinse under hot water before using it today. After my brew I was rinsing it off and noticed a couple of small (1/2 inch by 1/8 inch) patches of green oxidization. I didn’t pick up on these in my initial inspection. I know that this stuff is undesirable. Should I throw my batch out or is it safe to drink?

Thanks

I would think you are okay. The amount of oxidized copper which made it into your beer would not even be measurable. Many people are ingesting oxidized copper every day when their tap water is slightly acid and delivered through copper plumbing pipes.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com