wlp500

I just used WLP500 for the first time in a Pepe Nero inspired beer (Belgian special with rye and black pepper corns and candi sugar) The starter stunk like bananas which wasn’t in the description from what I remember it was plum? Normally I would just wait it out and see how it taste but I plan to wash the yeast and immediately use in a Belgian dark strong and a Belgian IPA. Anyone use this and does the banana carry over to the taste? Also the vial I got had been about 2 weeks past it best by date. The starter took a long time 24 hour ish to take off but when it did the yeast stayed in suspension a day longer then a second starter of 001 made the next day. It is now pitched and oxygenated about 18hrs ago. I typically see pretty vigorous bubbling by now. Slow starts seem some what common to this yeast it seems; odd because I pitched slightly warm which I never do about 82. Could the overnight drop from 82 to 68-70 have slowed this back down? Just looking to learn a little about this and if anyone thinks I shouldn’t use it for the IPA and dark strong.