Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

WLP380 Weizenbock didnt attenuate enough

I brewed a weizenbock with an OG of 1.072(was supposed to be 1.082)
I pitched a 3 liter starter which should have been enough for 1.082 so techinically I over pitched a tad. However, I heard a recommendation to under aerate to get more ester production from this yeast. So What I did was just dump the batch into the fermenter without shaking it. I normally shake it real well after the yeast is pitched. After the fermentation started it began to blow the airlock off so i changed to a blow off tube. After fermentation was completed I noticed an alarming amount of yeast that blew off into the small container of starsan.

My question is could my 70% attenuation from 1.072 to 1.023 be the cause of the amount of yeast i lost and/or the under areation? This yeast was supposed to attenuate to 80% as per the WLP380 statistics yet I only got 70% and that was using a mash of 150f!

Any suggestions or thoughts on this? Should I worry about overcarbonating during the bottle conditioning stage??

[quote=“jklamz”]I brewed a weizenbock with an OG of 1.072(was supposed to be 1.082)
I pitched a 3 liter starter which should have been enough for 1.082 so techinically I over pitched a tad. However, I heard a recommendation to under aerate to get more ester production from this yeast. So What I did was just dump the batch into the fermenter without shaking it. I normally shake it real well after the yeast is pitched. After the fermentation started it began to blow the airlock off so i changed to a blow off tube. After fermentation was completed I noticed an alarming amount of yeast that blew off into the small container of starsan.

My question is could my 70% attenuation from 1.072 to 1.023 be the cause of the amount of yeast i lost and/or the under areation? This yeast was supposed to attenuate to 80% as per the WLP380 statistics yet I only got 70% and that was using a mash of 150f!

Any suggestions or thoughts on this? Should I worry about overcarbonating during the bottle conditioning stage??[/quote]

This may help.

7.5lbs Wheat
1.5lbs Munich II
4lbs Pilsner
.5lb Special B
5.5oz Pale Chocolate
5.5oz Melonoiden

fermentation started at 64 and slowly rose to 70 by the end of the ferment. It’s still in the primary now.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com