WLP 833, What Are You?!

So, three weeks ago I brewed up a bock and used WLP German Bock Lager for no other reason than it was calling my name. OG was 1.074 and I made a huge starter, something like five liters (whatever mrmalty said to do). I pitched it at about 58-60 degrees and cooled it to 50-52 degrees where it’s been holding for the three weeks. At two weeks the gravity was 1.035 and today (3 weeks) it’s at 1.024. I’ve talked with some folks who say this is a fast fermenting yeast but obviously that’s not my situation. I think the FG is supposed to be 1.018 but I’m starting to wonder if this yeast is going to get me there. Any experience with 833? Should I bump up the temp a bit to finish it out?

Haven’t used 833, so can’t address it specifically, but going by your post, I think it’s time to raise temp for a diacetyl rest. That’ll help get the SG down a bit as well.

Where are you getting that your FG should be ~1.018? If from a brewing software, it can not predict FG’s.

Is this an extract or AG brew? Recipe?

Are you using a hydrometer or a refractometer to measure your SG?

If a hydrometer, has you calibrated it with distilled water at the temp listed on the paper inside? If a refractometer, are you using a alcohol compensating program?

A diacetyl rest is only needed if you taste diacetyl in the beer. But raising the temp would not harm the beer and may aid in further fermentation.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]Where are you getting that your FG should be ~1.018? If from a brewing software, it can not predict FG’s.

Is this an extract or AG brew? Recipe?

Are you using a hydrometer or a refractometer to measure your SG?

If a hydrometer, has you calibrated it with distilled water at the temp listed on the paper inside? If a refractometer, are you using a alcohol compensating program?

A diacetyl rest is only needed if you taste diacetyl in the beer. But raising the temp would not harm the beer and may aid in further fermentation.[/quote]

It’s an all grain recipe. I’m using a calibrated hydrometer and the 1.018 FG came from Hopville.com. The hydrometer sample had no notes of diacetyl but I was hoping to lower the gravity by bumping up the temp. I wasn’t sure how a longer rest at a higher temp would effect ester production and things of the like.

A 5L starter on a stirplate should be about right. Did you use a stirplate?