WLP 001 vs US 05

Brewed 10 gallons of a session IPA on Sunday. I split it and pitched WLP 001 and US 05 to each respective half as an exbeeriment. They are fermenting side by each and seem to be looking and acting exactly the same. The last time I made this beer I used WLP 001 with excellent results. Should be interesting to see if my palate can detect any difference between these two.

1 Like

Standing by for your observations. Currious

A podcast… master brewer, has a podcast with 2 peeps from fermentis… It was another good listen.
I have a hard time understanding, low to medium flocculation, and produces a very clear beer… Oxymoron?
You’ll have to also post pictures… well seeing as how yer givin’ Brülosophy a run fer their… brew! :sunglasses: Sneezles61

I too am interested in these results. I’ve never tried side by side. I’ve tried the same beer with both and never noticed the difference. But again not side by side.

1 Like

Interestingly, based on recent genetic testing, WLP001 and US-05 are very distant cousins, not equivalent at all. Yet both are pretty dang great American ale yeasts. Good to see you’re trying both to compare. I find them similar in character, but US-05 attenuates slightly more. My own preference is US-05 just because of the convenience of not having to make a starter.

Cheers.

4 Likes

Looking forward to your results.