Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Wit Suggestion

Can anyone suggest a Wit recipe to try. My basement has been on the warmer side so i figure i’ll brew a wit as i heard they can be brewed at warmer temps.

This recipe is AWESOME! And I really am a tough critic when it comes to my own stuff (food, beer, design, etc). Very simple, but very, very tasty!

5gal
OG 1.056 (Efficiency 78%)
FG 1.010
SRM 4
IBU 18
ABV 6%

50% Pils malt
50% Flaked wheat

1/2oz First Gold 60min
1/2oz First Gold 5min
(Really any spicy lower alpha hop is good here. I just happened to have an oz of First Gold that I wanted to use up)

1/2oz Coriander seed crushed 5min
2grams Grains of Paradise 5min
1oz Bitter orange peel 20min

Mashed at 154F for 60min. Batch sparged 170F for 10min.
90min boil.

Using flaked wheat instead of malted wheat lends a real nice thick mouth feel and it will stay brilliantly white and cloudy. I served this at my brew clubs Big Brew Day and it went very fast. It’s the 3rd Belgian Wit I’ve made and this is the recipe I’m sticking with. No need to tweak anything!

Wyeast Belgian Witbier 3944 - Fermented at 70F for 14 days then straight to keg. The best part of this beer is that it’s ready to drink right away! No long fermentation or conditioning time.

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102639&hilit=Denny+belgian+wit

see this ^^^ thread. “Best ever” may be correct, although I’m not a big wit fan and my wit-knowledge base is limited, so I’ll gladly defer to Denny’s assessment.

I have it on tap now and it is very tasty.

:cheers:

[quote=“StormyBrew”]
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102639&hilit=Denny+belgian+wit

see this ^^^ thread. “Best ever” may be correct, although I’m not a big wit fan and my wit-knowledge base is limited, so I’ll gladly defer to Denny’s assessment.

:cheers: [/quote]

Denny’s link no longer works. Is the recipe posted at the end the same thing?

[quote=“560sdl”][quote=“StormyBrew”]

:cheers: [/quote]

Denny’s link no longer works. Is the recipe posted at the end the same thing?[/quote]

Here’s some info and the recipe from my brewday notes back on July 4, 2011, when I first brewed it:

[color=#4000FF]This recipe is from the forum, named Wit or Witout by the author. It was called the “Best Witbeir ever” by Denny. I’ve scaled this original recipe down to a 3 gallon recipe. Ive named mine: Red, Wit, and Brew as it was brewed over the 4 July weekend.

5gallons:

5lbs belgian pilsner
5lbs flaked wheat
0.83 lb flaked oats
0.83 lb rice hulls
15 individual black pepper corns
0.67 ounce Chamomile
0.75 ounce corriander seed
0.5 ounce bitter orange peel
0.5 ounce sweet orange peel

EDIT for Hops: I have 1.25 OZ Saaz @ 60 and 0.5 oz Saaz @ 5, for the 5 gallon batch, in my notes but cannot guarantee if Saaz was from the original or if I used Saaz because it was what I had on hand and closest to what the recipe called for (as I sometimes have to do).

Process orange peel, corriander, and black pepper corns in the grinder. Add to boil @ 5.
Consider adding Chamomile at flameout to further mimic some of the commercial brews.
Add Irish Moss at 15.
Ferment at 68F.
Denny recommends 1.5-1.6 qts/lb and mash at 153F for 90 for this beer and 185-190F (always) for Sparge.[/color]

Hope this helps.

cheers.

That does help, thanks

Sorry, i guess I should have mentioned that I am still doing extract (damn i can’t wait to get my all grain setup complete)

You could adapt one of these and use wheat DME. I’m guessing 6-7 pounds, but you could use an online recipe calculator to work that out. Try adding flour to the boil to get the cloudiness of a wit.

How about a partial mash BIAB? Get maybe 2lbs of wheat malt (or 2Row or Pale Malt) and 2 lbs of flaked wheat. Use a small grain sack and mash them for an hour around 154F. Pull the sack out after an hour and start your boil. Use wheat DME for the rest of your gravity. It’s as simple as that.

I only say this because personally I think wits are best with at least a little flaked wheat. As you can see from my above post, I use 50% flaked wheat in my wit. And you have to mash flaked wheat with some base malt to convert it. But it really is as simple as I posted above. If you have a pot and some sort of mesh bag/sack, you can do a small brew in a bag partial mash.

No need to reinvent the wheel. Our hosts extract witbier kit makes a very nice brew.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/recipe-kits/extract-kits/extract-ale-kits/witbier-extract-kit.html

cheers.

No need to reinvent the wheel. Our hosts extract witbier kit makes a very nice brew.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/recipe-kits/extract-kits/extract-ale-kits/witbier-extract-kit.html

cheers.[/quote]
Stormy, what is your recommendation on the wet or dry yeast alternatives? I’ll be the first to admit that i will use dry because of cell count and it ships a lot better in the summer heat, but will go with wet yeast if it makes the beer better.

I’ve only used the wet, 3944. But to be honest, I ALWAYS use liquid yeast. Mainly out of habit because the guys that taught me to brew many years ago also always use Wyeast liquid yeast.

I don’t think there’s any reason not to use dry. I’m sure there are dozens of brewers here that use dry exclusively for all of their beers just like I use liquid. Probably just more of a personal preference.

cheers.

[quote=“StormyBrew”]I’ve only used the wet, 3944. But to be honest, I ALWAYS use liquid yeast. Mainly out of habit because the guys that taught me to brew many years ago also always use Wyeast liquid yeast.

I don’t think there’s any reason not to use dry. I’m sure there are dozens of brewers here that use dry exclusively for all of their beers just like I use liquid. Probably just more of a personal preference.

cheers.[/quote]
I mostly use dry yeast for ales and lagers. I’ve done maybe three batches where I used the smack pack.

[quote=“mvsawyer”][quote=“StormyBrew”]I’ve only used the wet, 3944. But to be honest, I ALWAYS use liquid yeast. Mainly out of habit because the guys that taught me to brew many years ago also always use Wyeast liquid yeast.

cheers.[/quote]
I mostly use dry yeast for ales and lagers. I’ve done maybe three batches where I used the smack pack.[/quote]

Well, there you have it and we only live about 3-5 miles apart.

:cheers:

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com