Wisconsin Tavern League equates homebrewing to moonshine

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... e=comments

Please contact your state Senators and representatives and the WI tavern league and point out that homebrewing has nothing to do with homemade bathtub gin and moonshine. The Tavern League just showed how dumb they really are. Remember this the next time you go to one of their constituent bars.

If this wasn’t so sad, it would be hilarious. A booze trade association is afraid home brewers are going to cut into their profits. I hope you guys have decent politicians…is that even possible?

An enlightened, discriminating consumer is dangerous.

I’ve submitted a post to point out exactly how much the Tavern League should be embarrassed. And yet, it’s not showing up on the site for some reason. I wonder if there’s a time delay while they make sure it’s allowable. Anyway, here’s what I had to say:

koshka probably said it best:

koshka said on: January 28, 2012, 10:58 am
“The Tavern League should be embarrassed that it’s lobbyist doesn’t understanding the difference between fermenting beer and distilling moonshine.”

+1. But I will elaborate slightly. This proposed homebrew legislation is only to legalize in Wisconsin that which the federal government has already legalized at a higher level – back in the 1970s! Our ancient laws in Wisconsin have some serious catching up to do. And I’ve never heard of a homebrewer ANYWHERE on planet earth who has died, gone blind, etc. from their homebrew. Drink some methanol from illegally distilled spirits, yeah, maybe you’ll run into trouble. But the proposed legislation in Wisconsin is about beer, not distilled spirits. It’s no different from making wine, mead, and cider, which is already perfectly legal to make and share anywhere you want. So why not beer, which is typically the weakest beverage of them all?!

EDIT: Oh, nevermind, I see why they won’t post my post. They stopped accepting comments already on 1/28/12. And here we are 2 whole days later. Too late. Too bad, or they might learn a thing or two from yours truly.

Email the senators and the tavern league. It will do more good than posting on the newspaper website.

fantastically comical…what a bunch of jokes.

As I understand it, the poisonings in India were the result of people adding stuff to the booze, not something intrinsic to its production.

Someone might let the Tavern League know that being active in the hobby of homebrewing probably makes the average person more likely to go to a nice pub for a good craft brew, not less.

and yes, let’s base out thoughts on something that happened in India…

[quote=“dmtaylo2”]I’ve submitted a post to point out exactly how much the Tavern League should be embarrassed. And yet, it’s not showing up on the site for some reason. I wonder if there’s a time delay while they make sure it’s allowable. Anyway, here’s what I had to say:

koshka probably said it best:

koshka said on: January 28, 2012, 10:58 am
“The Tavern League should be embarrassed that it’s lobbyist doesn’t understanding the difference between fermenting beer and distilling moonshine.”

+1. But I will elaborate slightly. This proposed homebrew legislation is only to legalize in Wisconsin that which the federal government has already legalized at a higher level – back in the 1970s! Our ancient laws in Wisconsin have some serious catching up to do. And I’ve never heard of a homebrewer ANYWHERE on planet earth who has died, gone blind, etc. from their homebrew. Drink some methanol from illegally distilled spirits, yeah, maybe you’ll run into trouble. But the proposed legislation in Wisconsin is about beer, not distilled spirits. It’s no different from making wine, mead, and cider, which is already perfectly legal to make and share anywhere you want. So why not beer, which is typically the weakest beverage of them all?!

EDIT: Oh, nevermind, I see why they won’t post my post. They stopped accepting comments already on 1/28/12. And here we are 2 whole days later. Too late. Too bad, or they might learn a thing or two from yours truly.[/quote]

Your Comment is on there, current page 1 of the comments. Another example of the ignorance of what homebrewing is about. Had somebody yesterday ask about my still.

Groovy. And I will email my senators and assembly people with similar info.

I’ve had 2 people ask me pretty much the same thing as soon as they heard that I make BEER.
Phhhh…

I will give Scott a call. I shall remind him of all the craft beer we consumed together at the Great Dane.

Home brew clubs being able to meet at local taverns is, well, a good thing.