winter warmer

Second brew I’ve attempted - so definitely a beginner. I am 1 and a half weeks out from brew day and because my basement is so doggone cold - it is fermenting at 60 degrees. Is this too cold for a decent, high gravity brew?

I like to start the ferment of big beers at low temps, and then let warm up when fermentation slows after a few days. Definitely start with enough yeast or it will be slow to get going and slow fermenting.

60* is a bit low. You run the risk of the yeast falling out of suspension and leaving fermentable sugar behind. Especially depending on the yeast strain and if you only pitched one package. If you are a week and a half in you can rock the carboy a little bit everyday. Softly, no splashing. Just enough to mix things up a bit, keep that yeast up there. Or you could always take a gravity reading and see how you’re doing.

thank you - I will try giving it a gentle swirl daily. I did pitch two packages, but the OG was right on and I really don’t want to blow this batch with Christmas coming :slight_smile:

you can wrap it in a blanket and it will warm itself up. otherwise you can use a small space heater.

What yeast?

I’m brewing a winter warmer on Sunday with WLP002. SG around 1.070 and a 2L starter. I have had some trouble getting the London yeasts (WLP002 and WLP007) to ferment out in high gravity beers like this.

My plan was to start at 65F and raise a degree a day after 48hr to 70F

Warm it up to help it finish. I’d let it warm to 68 or so and leave it for 5-7 days before transferring.

[quote=“breslinp”]What yeast?

I’m brewing a winter warmer on Sunday with WLP002. SG around 1.070 and a 2L starter. I have had some trouble getting the London yeasts (WLP002 and WLP007) to ferment out in high gravity beers like this.

My plan was to start at 65F and raise a degree a day after 48hr to 70F[/quote]

Consider making a lower gravity first and then fermenting your winter warmer on the resultant yeast cake.