Wingin' it IPA

So I planned on brewing my all centennial IPA today. 18 lbs 2 row, 3 lbs vienna and 2 lbs c40 for an 11 gal batch. Only had 15.75 lbs of 2 row so increased the vienna to 5.25 lbs and decided I’ll FWH with a couple ounces of cent, then bitter with magnum to about 30 ibu, centennial at 20, 5 and whirlpool for 20 mins below 180 degrees for a total of 74 ibu according to BS2. Should be a little over 6abv with my efficiency and 7.9srm. I’ll DH it in the keg with about 2 oz centennial each keg.

Kind of a B2H on steroids. Though I had one on tap at a local recently and it was really really good. Great body, aroma, mouthfeel, smooth and orangy.

edit: Pitch it on 1272 slurry from an april batch. No starter. This was clearly not a well planned brew day. :roll:

Still wingin’ it. changed to cluster for the bittering hops. Didn’t like the way those magnum smelled. About a year in the freezer. A lb of those go a long way…

Happens to the best of us. Coulda’ sworn I had 8oz of C40… what, only 1oz of cents??? Sometimes gotta make due. Bet you still make beer and it will probably be good, maybe great. Is it what you planned for? No, but might be nice change.

Geez now your getting out of control… changed your plan before I could even post about your old recipe! :lol:

Do you keep your hops vacuum sealed in the freezer? I opened some 3 year old vacuum sealed hops recently (stored in freezer the whole time) and they still had that fresh green look and still smelled great when crushed up in my fingers.

Do you keep your hops vacuum sealed in the freezer? I opened some 3 year old vacuum sealed hops recently (stored in freezer the whole time) and they still had that fresh green look and still smelled great when crushed up in my fingers.[/quote]
No haven’t made the investment in a vac sealer though I definitely need to. Been keeping them in double ziploc bags, air squeezed out, in my fermentation chest which is just above freezing.

I would keep them in the freezer.

Yea I need to do that. Just laziness too. My brew cave is in the basement and the only freezer space I can use is in the garage so it’s just more convenient to keep them down in the lager chest. If I’m going to continue buying bulk I need to get a vac sealer and freeze em though…

sometimes homebrewfinds has the basic foodsaver model on sale for either $19.99 or $29.99. Either way, between freezing meats, meals, and hops, it pays for itself in no time.