Wine Kit Question

I am working on my second wine kit and only had 6.5 gal bucket available with a gama seal lid to rack into degass and add the fining agents. Do you think it will be ok in thia sealed bucket? Or do I need to order a glass carboy as the instructions state. I don’t plan to age just bottle in a few weeks. The FG is 0.996 for this Pinot Noir.

-Tony

You are probably OK with the bucket. What is a gama seal lid?

There would likely be a few issues with long term aging, but if you are bottling quick it should be fine.

My main concern would be with the degassing. How vogorous can you get in a bucket without spraying a ton of wine everywhere?

The gamma seal lid is a gasketed, screw type lid for a 6.5 gal bucket. It is airtight and previously used for storing grain before I got a bigger grain storage container.

The degasser stayed pretty well submerged making a big whirlpool when I was running it with the drill. I would run for 10 to 15 min. Stop for a few minutes and watch the co2 foam out and repeat until the bubbles/foam stopped. I did do it in a rarely used shower stall just in case, but it stayed pretty well in the bucket.

-Tony

Did not know that type of lid had a name. My Spidel fermenter actually has one too.

As long as you are able to degass propperly etc. there is no real need for a carboy.

Thank you.

-Tony