Will campden used to treat water stall fermentation?

I used a campden tab to treat my tap water…its been 48 hours and no signs of fermentation…Its wyeast 2124 Bo lager 50 degrees…is the campden causing a problem or is this normal for this yeast?

It could, depending on the quantities. How much water to how much campden?

I’m fermenting a maibock right now with the 2124 and it is a slow fermenter; I’m holding it at 48F and it is popping a bubble every 20 seconds or so. But, it is churning. I pitched a big starter (nearly 1L of slurry), too.

How much campden, just out of curiosity? I think you’d need a huge amount of campden to kill yeast, something like one tablet/gallon.

Cheers.

He said just a camden tab…guessing he only used one. No, camden won’t stall fermentation, especially if you’re using it to treat preboiled water. I use it to treat my water every batch.

It was a BIAB batch…1 campden tab to 7 gallons…after the boil i only ended up with 4 gallons(face palm) lots of loss from grain absorbtion,hop absorbsion(used leaf hops) evaporation and trub…so i boiled up some DME 1 gallon to raise my volume to 5 gallons and put a very tiny pinch of campden to that as well to treat…is that too much?

I’m fermenting a maibock right now with the 2124 and it is a slow fermenter; I’m holding it at 48F and it is popping a bubble every 20 seconds or so. But, it is churning. I pitched a big starter (nearly 1L of slurry), too.

How much campden, just out of curiosity? I think you’d need a huge amount of campden to kill yeast, something like one tablet/gallon.

Cheers.[/quote]

Yeah i pitched about 1 liter slurry as well… stepped up a 2 liter twice

[quote=“mattbrew83”]It was a BIAB batch…1 campden tab to 7 gallons…after the boil i only ended up with 4 gallons(face palm) lots of loss from grain absorbtion,hop absorbsion(used leaf hops) evaporation and trub…so i boiled up some DME 1 gallon to raise my volume to 5 gallons and put a very tiny pinch of campden to that as well to treat…is that too much?[/quote]Campden at one tab per gallon would be a problem, but not at your dosage.

Thats good to know…thank you

I agree that campden isn’t your problem. A 1/4 tablet is good for 5 gals, so you’re using more than you need, but not excessively.

The bisulfite in the campden is an oxygen scavenger, so an excess dose will deplete any oxygenation you performed for the wort and that could delay fermentation progress. Dose campden properly!

Well, damn…Martin, you just taught me something…again!

Well, damn…Martin, you just taught me something…again![/quote]

:oops:

What would be an excess dose?
I’ve been using a tablet to treat 15 gals. Haven’t noticed a lag in fermentation, but possibly could be better.

Well, damn…Martin, you just taught me something…again![/quote]

:oops:

What would be an excess dose?
I’ve been using a tablet to treat 15 gals. Haven’t noticed a lag in fermentation, but possibly could be better.[/quote]

I think you’re well within the safe zone.

Thanks, Denny

Whoa…i did not know that… another good thing to know… when adding the campden i did not think i could have any negative effects cause i remember in a brewing tv episode palmer mentioned that using more “can’t hurt” and it just adds sulfites which is negligible…So i went ahead…i pitched @50 so thats probably gonna make her start off slow on top of the campden…yeast count was good…2L stepped up…i used pure o2 for 1 min before pitching hope the campden didn’t bogard it all

[quote=“mabrungard”]The bisulfite in the campden is an oxygen scavenger, so an excess dose will deplete any oxygenation you performed for the wort and that could delay fermentation progress. Dose campden properly![/quote]Wouldn’t the acidic mash and boil take care of any excess?

Very interesting, I used campden for the first time with this brew (1/2) in to 4gal of water and have had very slow fermentation with no real krowsen(sp?) at all. But it is also my first all grain and had some other problems. May need to test further since I got the cloride in my water last time I brewed, Never want that taste again :cheers: Cheers