Wild, wild, American yeast Lambic Beer

So I tend to create some rather crazy beer recipes (some awesome and surprising, others quite the contrary), and I am starting to read more in depth about lambics. Several questions:

Has anyone created a lambic (traditional methods of wild yeast/bacteria fermentation) that tastes rather good? If so, what steps did you perform to acquire the wild yeast (no pure cultured packets of yeast/bacteria)?

I am guessing it would be best for the fresh wort to be outside in a shed or something, with mesh over the fermenter opening to keep out bugs and crap. Then, have the shed doors wide open for a while to invite wild yeast in to ferment. Once enough bacteria and yeast contaminate it, cap it off with a blow off. Then, the waiting game.

I am sure the American wild strains aren’t particularly “good” for lambic style beer, but hell, it’s worth a shot I figure. Could be fun to try and refine an American wild yeast-strained lambic to taste half decent. That being said, avoiding mold is going to be tough I have a feeling…

Input and suggestions are welcomed :smiley:

Do it with a starter and see what you get - if it smells and tastes good, then brew a batch and pitch it. If not, start another one.

I think the idea that the Belgians are using yeast from the air is overblown. They are using wooden containers that harbor the same bugs from batch to batch.

You’ll save yourself a lot of time to get a package of lambic blend that has everything you need. It’ll turn out distinctive enough as it is.

If you want to make a wild beer, your best bet would be to rely on fresh fruit. Leaving the beer in your shed will most likely produce a less than desirable flavor. Fruit from local orchards are covered with wild yeast and bacteria. You can add fresh fruit along with Sacch. or if you’re really daring with no commercial yeast.

I tried just exposing plates to the air and then inoculating with colonies. All smelled and tasted like ass except one that smelled of almonds, but tasted like ass. That was in the city.
Using a fruit orchard is a good idea because the fruits are indeed covered with wild yeast that are capable of producing tasty beer. I think Chimay yeast was originally isolated from a local apple skin.