Why do my beers have an off taste, they seem sour

My last few batches of beer seem to have an off taste, the taste is on the sour side. I have not changed the way I have brewed in the past it just seems that my last three batches of beer are sour. Caribou slobber, Irish red and the honey brown ale. The honey brown does not seem to be as sour as the slobber and the irish red. I clean and sanitize everything as good as possible. I was told that I may have picked up some wild yeast along the way. IS this possible? If so what can I do to resolve the wild yeast problem.
Thank you

It is possible to have picked up an infection since it has happened with three consecutive brews. Are these three beers from extract or all grain? Did these beers finish at the same FG if you have brewed them before?

Is there chlorine in your water? If so, do you do anything to remove it?

flars, these three beers were all extract. I just replaced all of my plastic equipment with new. New bottling bucket and spigot and new hose. I made a batch today, hopefully that was my problem

Being on city water, I’m sure there is chlorine in the water. I never had a problem with off flavor in the past using the same water.

It is very likely your brewing water can be the problem. The level of chlorine can change during the year. Chloramines are most often used in municipal water supplies and the levels used change according to bacteria counts. One-quarter of a Campden tablet in five gallons of water can eliminate both chlorine and chloramines.

They may have increased the level, which is not unusual for summer. If you’re sure it’s chlorine, you can let the water sit out overnight for it to dissipate. If it"s chloramine, you need to use campden tabs to remove it. While it’s possible it’s an infection, I think chlorine is more likely and easier to deal with.

Denny, When would I add the campden tablet to the water?

Add the Campden tablet as soon as you collect your brewing water. The reaction to remove chlorine and chloramines takes place in a couple of minutes. Treat the water that you use to mix your sanitizer also.

Are all of the campden tablets the same? Can I use the whole campden tablet in 5 gallon of water?

Generally, it’s a quarter tablet for 5 gals.
What they said about elevated levels is spot on. I poured some tap water today and it tasted like a public swimming pool. Minus the pee.

[quote=“flars, post:9, topic:21747”]
. Treat the water that you use to mix your sanitizer also.
[/quote] Or just use distilled. It will keep for months as long as the pH is below 3.2.

One campden tablet will treat 20 gal. of water. Crush it up before you add it, let it sit a couple minutes and you’re good to go.

the package says 1 tablet per gallon. What would be the effect of too much campden???

One tablet per gallon if you’re using it as a sanitizer for wine. For the purposes of removing chloramine, you don’t need that concentration of sulfite.

The one tablet per gallon is for wine making to prevent wild yeast, bacteria growth, and oxidation by adding SO2. One-quarter tablet per 5 gallons of water to eliminate chloramine.

Are you reusing yeast ? If so you may have picked up some wild yeast or bacteria

nope, I’m not reusing yeast. I just replaced all of my plastic hose, bucket and spigot. Hopefully that was my problem. If that does not correct the problem with this batch, I will then try the campden tablets
Thank you

uh oh…lol.