Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Why can't you lager in a keg while it is conditioning?

I know you can place a carboy in the fridge to lager, and I think I can place a keg in the fridge at low pressure to lager with no force carbing. But why can’t I just keg up the fermented lager batch, hook up the lines to it, and lager it for a couple of months before I tap it?

Yes.

Lagering is cold storage. In the keg, pail or carboy is fine.

I agree with nighthawk.
In fact, lagering in the keg is probably the ideal way to do it. No reason not to force carb it in the process though. In fact, with gas hooked up to the keg at low levels while it is cold aging, you will in fact be force carbing it, only at a slower pace.

[quote=“The Professor”]I agree with nighthawk.
In fact, lagering in the keg is probably the ideal way to do it. No reason not to force carb it in the process though. In fact, with gas hooked up to the keg at low levels while it is cold aging, you will in fact be force carbing it, only at a slower pace.[/quote]

So does that mean that I need to keep an eye on it after a month so that it doesn’t carb to high?

The beer will only take on as much co2 as you have the regulator set for.

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

If the fridge is set to 35d, and the regulator is set to 10psi, you will only achieve 2.5 volumes.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]The beer will only take on as much co2 as you have the regulator set for.

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

If the fridge is set to 35d, and the regulator is set to 10psi, you will only achieve 2.5 volumes.[/quote]

oops, I misread the post. I thought he was suggesting that at that long of a period (2+ months), that the laggering would carb up the beer on it’s own while it was finishing up.

My plan is to transfer to 38 degrees after 2-3 weeks in the primary (60-64), add 2 oz sugar, gas up, disconnect, and then verify that there is pressure by tapping the relief valve weekly until 2 months is passed. There is no sense wasting gas force carbing if I’m not drinking it.

If you’re adding priming sugar to the keg you’ll want to keep the keg warm until it carbonates, the yeast won’t be very productive at 38 degrees. Once you’re fully carbonated then you can drop the temp. But unless you just don’t have the ability I can’t think of a reason not to just force carb while you lager and skip the priming sugar altogether.

I guess I can skip the sugar. I really don’t want to heat this one up.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com