Why Can't I Get These Two Things In Bulk?

1.) Clarity Ferm
2.) Hop Extract

Not sure about the first, but I suspect you’d have no trouble buying hop extract in bulk - if bulk means by the tanker truck full. It’s my impression that almost all the users of this are massive breweries.

ha. No I wasn’t thinking of the Breaking Bad rail car full of hop extract, more just 2-300ml for ‘homebrew bulk’!

Used NB’s hopshot (5ml) for our last Heady clone, and it was magnificent.

I’ve got a can of hop extract siting here the size of a large tuna can. It will hop 100 gal. of 1.040 beer to 42 IBU. I’m trying to figure out what the hell to do with it.

That kinda surprises me Denny. You usually have a plan for these kinda things! Do you know if you have to use it all once open?

My understanding is that it comes in the size of a can like Denny’s. So it basically is bulk. I found this:

https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/centennial- ... act-300-al

54.4%AA, half can will provide 30 I bus in 15bbl batch… crazy stuff!

Brew 66 gallons of 1.060 beer to 42 IBU? :wink:

[quote=“Pietro”]1.) Clarity Ferm
2.) Hop Extract[/quote]

BITTERING hop extract is available in bulk and is not terribly expensive.
AROMA hop extract is available too…but in smaller quantities (which are VERY expensive, though with the better ones, a little of it does go a long way)

That kinda surprises me Denny. You usually have a plan for these kinda things! Do you know if you have to use it all once open?

My understanding is that it comes in the size of a can like Denny’s. So it basically is bulk. I found this:

54.4%AA, half can will provide 30 I bus in 15bbl batch… crazy stuff![/quote]

Can i buy this though, or do I need to be a commercial brewery?

I am sold on using this stuff for bittering in hoppy beers. All acids, no vegetal matter.

Yakima Valley Hops has the 100g tuna cans for 21.99. You will need 14, 10mL syringes for the whole can. Can’t help ya on the clarity ferm. :cheers:

Edit: look under brewing ingredients instead of hops.

Oh wow, great thanks! I get my hops from YVH as it is, so I will be happy to give them more biz.

Offer it to a local brewery in trade for beer??

54.4%AA, half can will provide 30 I bus in 15bbl batch… crazy stuff![/quote]

Actually, what I have is a small can compared to others I’ve seen. I went to the commercial session of Hop and Brew school at Hop Union last Sept. They were handing the cans out as samples to the commercial brewers there. I figured I’d grab one and figure out what to do with it later. You do have to use it all once it’s open. These 55 gal. drums of extract are destined for Heineken.

http://s794.photobucket.com/user/dennyconn/media/Hop%20Brew%20School%202014/0909141707.jpg.html

THIS I did not know and if true/non-workaroundable it would probably cause me to not buy it. Can’t vacuum seal it in smaller doses or anything like that eh?

THIS I did not know and if true/non-workaroundable it would probably cause me to not buy it. Can’t vacuum seal it in smaller doses or anything like that eh?[/quote]
Perhaps you can pre-load it into syringes or 10 ml sample tubes (can get those at any lab supply source) and then freeze it?

THIS I did not know and if true/non-workaroundable it would probably cause me to not buy it. Can’t vacuum seal it in smaller doses or anything like that eh?[/quote]
Perhaps you can pre-load it into syringes or 10 ml sample tubes (can get those at any lab supply source) and then freeze it?[/quote]

Although I’m not certain, I think you’d have to keep air away from it.

That would be my guess as well, it sounds like it can oxidize pretty easily. I can probably find the answer on probrewer.com or AHA.

I figured it would oxidize easily as well. Maybe a good idea for a group brew day… doesn’t sound feasible for a regular home brewer unless you could figure out another user it.
Pietro, maybe you could contact the makers of hop shot and see if they will tell you how they get it preloaded without oxidation? But likely a fancy machine.

it was free, add the whole can to a batch of iipa