Why 60 minutes

Curious as to why most extract kits ask for a 60 minute boil. Saw that NB offers an “Expeditious Kolsch” with a 20 minute boil. The ingredients aren’t quite the same as their standard Kolsch (1lb pils DME) which says 60 minute boil.

40 minutes isn’t a big deal, just wondering.

[quote=“ChuckVug”]Curious as to why most extract kits ask for a 60 minute boil. Saw that NB offers an “Expeditious Kolsch” with a 20 minute boil. The ingredients aren’t quite the same as their standard Kolsch (1lb pils DME) which says 60 minute boil.

40 minutes isn’t a big deal, just wondering.[/quote]

60 min. is the standard becasue that’s the sweet spot for IBU isomerization. If you boil for a shorter time, you get less bitterness from the hops, so you have to use more. It’s also good for coagulating proteins and producing a clear beer.

[quote=“Denny”][quote=“ChuckVug”]Curious as to why most extract kits ask for a 60 minute boil. Saw that NB offers an “Expeditious Kolsch” with a 20 minute boil. The ingredients aren’t quite the same as their standard Kolsch (1lb pils DME) which says 60 minute boil.

60 min. is the standard becasue that’s the sweet spot for IBU isomerization. If you boil for a shorter time, you get less bitterness from the hops, so you have to use more. It’s also good for coagulating proteins and producing a clear beer.[/quote]
I agree however since this is an extract kit and a low bitterness beer, would the short boil time make much difference? Also with extract is protein coagulation a factor?

It has been a long time since I have done an extract batch but if doubling the bittering hops for a few bucks cut the boil time that much it would be worth it for a quick five gallons of decent beer.

I think 15-20 minutes in the boil should be fine if it’s not a terribly bitter beer style. Also if you use pre-hopped extract, 10 minutes would be sufficient.

[quote=“Denny”][quote=“ChuckVug”]Curious as to why most extract kits ask for a 60 minute boil. Saw that NB offers an “Expeditious Kolsch” with a 20 minute boil. The ingredients aren’t quite the same as their standard Kolsch (1lb pils DME) which says 60 minute boil.

60 min. is the standard becasue that’s the sweet spot for IBU isomerization. If you boil for a shorter time, you get less bitterness from the hops, so you have to use more. It’s also good for coagulating proteins and producing a clear beer.[/quote]

I did an experiment with Briess pilsner DME a while ago and boiled 21 minutes. The resulting beer was quite clear.

I don’t think anyone really touched on it… But if you are using a prehopped kit, basically they have already done the boiling for you and you are basically sanitizing the wort.

This is clearly the most absurd question ever posted on the forum!

Everybody knows: BECAUSE THAT’S THE WAY WE’VE ALWAYS DONE IT!

:mrgreen:

You get em old dawn! I wanted to say that but didn’t have the bawls! Sneezles61 :cheers:

Damn auto cerrecked I meant old dawg… Does anyone know how to shut that cerreckor off? Sneezles61