Whorlfloc doesn't settle out

Hey everyone. I’ve used whorlfloc on two brews so far and it seems that when everything settles there is a 2 inch layer of clear wort on top and like 12 inches of hop sludge on the bottom. The whorfloc definitely makes the wort separate differently.I tried using a whorl pool and did the same thing. So when I pour the wort into the fermentor all of the sludge gets in. This isn’t necessarily bad and my beer has still turned out very clear. I guess I just thought the purpose of the whorlfloc was to bind the proteins and keep them out of the fermentor…Am I making sense here?

Metalhophead

Sounds like what I experience. Whirlfloc works quite well and I use it all the time.

I stopped using it as I didn’t like that it does that. The stuff still gets in my fermenter. Now, I don’t use any clarifiers. I find my beer is clear enough as is.

How are you draining your BK? If you have a ball valve you can buy an attachment that pulls from the bottom and side of the BK thus preventing this.

Even if you pour it all in the fermenter, the whirlfloc helps proteins settle in fermenter thus leaving them behind when going to secondary or bottling. This is why I would continue to use it.

[quote=“Loopie Beer”]

Even if you pour it all in the fermenter, the whirlfloc helps proteins settle in fermenter thus leaving them behind when going to secondary or bottling. This is why I would continue to use it.[/quote]
+1. I like using whirlfloc for that reason.

I have a similar experience going in the fermenter but find that it compacts well during conditioning and the end result is no loss of beer. I really like the results I get with whirlfoc and find it far superior to all hot side clarifying agents. With whirlfloc and gelatin I get totally pro clarity. Remember only 1/2 a tab to 5G…