Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Whoopsie daisy

Just a quick question to anyone who may have been as inattentive as me. I seem to have over-sanitized my immersion chiller. It has taken on an almost stainless steel color (from copper coloring). My concern is will this metal a(ny) contamination risk when immersed in a wort? Is this chiller still ok/ salvageable?? As always, any feedback or insight is appreciated. Thanks

Rinse it off really good with water.

There’s really no need to sanitize a chiller since you put it into boiling hot wort anyways, which will kill off anything on there.

I clean our off after every brew…just a real good rinsing with water and a washcloth. Never used soap or sanitizer on it.

A soak in Starsan will restore your copper finish. White vinegar may work also, but then what do you do with a bucket of vinegar.

Thanks for the input. Greatly appreciated. Will try your suggestions.

A soak in Starsan will restore your copper finish. White vinegar may work also, but then what do you do with a bucket of vinegar.[/quote]
I saw another topic about cleaning copper. The person said white vinegar left a greyish coating on the copper tubing. I use a piece of copper wire while filling the fermentor. Sanitized in Starsan keeps it bright.

After a brew session I hose off my wort chiller and use a cloth or brush to help scrub the heavy stuff off. Every so often I will soak it in PBW till morning. Hose it off let it dry, then store it away. I also blow compressed air into the chiller to expel the remaining water. It looks brand new when it comes out of the PBW.

Over kill on the chiller cleaning . I’ve been there.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com