Who thinks their qualified to label anyone's brewing level?

Brewing is a dynamic process, from recipe creation to pouring the first glass.

When esoteric things occur along the way and you know how to compensate or correct, without asking, you are then approaching the realm of “homebrew master”.

In general, you can relate someone’s level of experience by how they answer questions and what questions they ask.

Given the amount of information about home-brewing in both books and on-line it’s relatively easy for someone who has never brewed before to become a self-proclaimed expert by simply searching for an answer on-line.

There’s also the “batch count” method of experience measurement, where-by folks will say something to the effect of “I’ve cooled my wort in the snow for the last 703 batches and by-God I’m stickin’ to it!”

What they are doing is relaying the “pride” that comes with having solved a specific problem using their own equipment in their own context.

Certain people have drawn attention to themselves, not necessarily for things they have invented, but more for processes and items that they’ve promoted (i.e. marketed) and made popular.

Sometimes, envy rears it’s ugly head, tempers flare and arguments ensue over the smallest of things. Of course arguing on the Internet… well we all know what that’s like.

The best is to forget about all of the false marketing and labeling (which plays games with your head) and just concentrate on each batch you brew. Learn from your mistakes and soon enough you’ll be the one with 432 batches and developed a specific process that works for you.

I’m reminded of a favorite movie quote.

“The servant waits while the master baits.” - Madelaine Kahn in Mel Brooks’ “History of the World: Part One”

:cheers:

We ain’t English teachers! We’re beer brewers. If correct spelling and grammar were necessary to brew good beer, most of us would be excluded from this forum.

I really don’t think anyone would be bothered too much by the spelling if the whole thing weren’t just so doggone strange.

Ron

I was on a book club forum and I had to leave because there was a lot of English teachers who kept correcting my spelling and grammar. Not so on this site unless of course you confuse Belgian with Belgium.

I’m assuming the OP is German. That means he’s struggling with a difficult language and a different culture. For someone accustomed to titles like “Master” and “Apprentice” meaning something, our joke must sound a little over-blown. Reread the posts a couple of times and they make sense.

As for the discussion being strange, how about a long discussion (argument?) about traditional brewing steps and who was the first to advocate them?

[quote=“jd14t”]
Sometimes, envy rears it’s ugly head, tempers flare and arguments ensue over the smallest of things. Of course arguing on the Internet… well we all know what that’s like…

The best is to forget about all of the false marketing and labeling (which plays games with your head) and just concentrate on each batch you brew. Learn from your mistakes and soon enough you’ll be the one with 432 batches and developed a specific process that works for you.[/quote]

THIS ^^^^ Great advice. Try to avoid those internet arguments, and focus on what works for you. :cheers:

Grammar - the difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you’re nuts.

LOLZ !

Yep, it would be nice if people would make a little effort at grammar.

FYI though, I will continue to say Belgium whenever and however I deem appropriate.