Who re-yeasts after long lagering periods?

I know the topic has been discussed numerous times and just want to get an idea where everyone is with this. I will be lagering my first lager for a month or so and want to know what to expect. I plan on entering this beer into a comp but with a tight schedule, this will give me exactly 2 weeks for bottle conditioning before the beer needs to be turned in. I’d like to avoid submitting an undercarbed beer if at all possible.

One month you should be fine. I wouldn’t worry about it even after a few months. After 5-6 months or so… yeah, I’d probably add some yeast at bottling time just as a precaution.

Hoping Denny will chime in here. I’ve seen him post many times about NOT needing to add yeast for quite some time.

I read that you should bulk lager before bottling. But, a friend of mine just brewed a couple lagers with Saflager 34/70, primaried at 52 or so degrees for 2-3 weeks, bottled, and beers tastes fantastic after 3 weeks in the bottle and a few days in the fridge. I was amazed. I’m not so sure it’s absolutely necessary to bulk lager for average gravity beers. It gave me hope in case I decide to brew smaller batches and bottle everything.

[quote=“dobe12”]One month you should be fine. I wouldn’t worry about it even after a few months. After 5-6 months or so… yeah, I’d probably add some yeast at bottling time just as a precaution.

Hoping Denny will chime in here. I’ve seen him post many times about NOT needing to add yeast for quite some time.[/quote]

I agree with you. For a month, no problem. Even 2, maybe 3 months, assuming an average gravity (1.050ish). For very high gravity or months of lagering, it couldn’t hurt.

Didn’t vote because I keg and only bottle out of the keg. This way I don’t have to worry about this type issues.

Can’t wait till I have a bigger house and this is no longer an issue :slight_smile:

I’ve gone three months with no problem.
I don’t have any recipes that need to go longer than that.