Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Who has used a Plastic Big Mouth Bubbler fermentor?

do you guys like it? Any concerns that it’s plastic, as opposed to fermenting in glass? Plastic is more porous, has anyone noticed any negative effects? Have you done multiple fermentations with no off flavor issues?
Thanks!

I have one. Used it for 6 batches so far. And love it. Super easy to take gravity readings and add dry hops or other additions. I wouldn’t use it or any plastic for long term aging but otherwise it’s awesome.

I have used plastic fermentors for almost 3 years…I have never had any issues.

I have 2, 6.5 gallon units and they are great…so easy to clean, etc.

I was skeptical at first, but I’ve grown to adore mine.

I have 2 of them now and they are great. After carrying around glass for years, it is nice to have something so much lighter. I changed over after I had 2 glass carboys break (including a glass big mouth bubbler) and decided the risk wasn’t worth it. So far so good with plastic.

do you guys like it? - yep
Any concerns that it’s plastic, as opposed to fermenting in glass? - nope
Plastic is more porous, has anyone noticed any negative effects? - nope
Have you done multiple fermentations with no off flavor issues? - yep
Thanks! - you’re welcome

OK, so please explain to me. Other than that it’s clear and you can see the action inside, what makes the plastic big mouth bubbler better than the white plastic ale pail? Are the plastics that different that the big mouth is better?

For me it’s the top. I have a couple of buckets as well and I prefer the BMB. I’ve always found bucket tops to be a PIA to remove. I can take gravity readings by simply removing the air lock. I also find it easier to unscrew the top for hop additions.

The other thing I like is that it’s tall & narrow. closer to a corney shape than a bucket. That means I can get more of them into my fermentation fridge.

For me it’s the top. I have a couple of buckets as well and I prefer the BMB. I’ve always found bucket tops to be a PIA to remove. I can take gravity readings by simply removing the air lock. I also find it easier to unscrew the top for hop additions.

The other thing I like is that it’s tall & narrow. closer to a corney shape than a bucket. That means I can get more of them into my fermentation fridge.[/quote]
All of this. I opted for the lid with 2 openings as my temp probe sits in the beer. I take gravity readings by just pulling the 2nd stopper without removing the entire probe. When transferring beer to a keg, I don’t have a giant opening, increasing again contamination risk. Just a stopper sized opening. The narrower shape also reduces potential surface to air contact. I don’t see any pros to a bucket at this point, aside from a handle, which the harness effectively eliminates.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com