Who can top this one?

[quote=“harpdog”][quote=“El Capitan”]

My siphon hose was bent upward at the end, and so it wouldn’t lay flat in the bottling bucket. Beer kept spraying upward and splashing around. I was all by myself, trying to juggle things and that lousy hose kept flipping upward until the beer was finally about 3" deep and covered it. By that time it was well-oxidized.

The solution is to attach a bottle filler with the tip removed to the end of the autosiphon. This keeps it nice and stiff and straight, and it will stay where you put it.

:cheers: [/quote]

What is the tell on oxidized brew? I mean how do you know? Just curious because I had a brew that was not pleasing and I wonder if I did that.[/quote]

It can taste like wet cardboard, or have metallic or strangely caramel off flavors.

El - I haven’t experienced that problem, but can always envision it when I siphon. I love your solution! :slight_smile:

[quote=“beerme11”][quote=“El Capitan”]I was under the impression that you’re not supposed to carry carboys by the handle…

Like Denny, I’ve switched back to buckets and rarely use carboys anymore.

About the worst thing I’ve done is oxidized a beautiful imperial stout while bottling. What a bummer![/quote]

Do you know what you did to make that happen? I only ask because I wanna make sure i dont do it[/quote]

It was my fault. I had taken the handle off to clean both it and the carboy and didn’t tighten it enough. Also, I won’t be carrying it just by the handle anymore.

Holy crap! Good bath towels? What were the repercussions?

They had to call The Wolf.

:mrgreen:

When you came pulling in here, did you notice a sign out in front of my house that said “Dead Carboy Storage”?

[quote=“harpdog”][quote=“El Capitan”]

My siphon hose was bent upward at the end, and so it wouldn’t lay flat in the bottling bucket. Beer kept spraying upward and splashing around. I was all by myself, trying to juggle things and that lousy hose kept flipping upward until the beer was finally about 3" deep and covered it. By that time it was well-oxidized.

The solution is to attach a bottle filler with the tip removed to the end of the autosiphon. This keeps it nice and stiff and straight, and it will stay where you put it.

What is the tell on oxidized brew? I mean how do you know? Just curious because I had a brew that was not pleasing and I wonder if I did that.[/quote]

It tastes like paper, cardboard, or sherry.

See this thread

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=113406

[quote=“El Capitan”][quote=“beerme11”][quote=“El Capitan”]I was under the impression that you’re not supposed to carry carboys by the handle…

Like Denny, I’ve switched back to buckets and rarely use carboys anymore.
About the worst thing I’ve done is oxidized a beautiful imperial stout while bottling. What a bummer![/quote]

Do you know what you did to make that happen? I only ask because I wanna make sure i dont do it[/quote]

I’ve had EXACTLY this problem before, and I’m totally going to be using that bottle filler trick from now on. This sort of stuff is why this place is awesome.

Thanks for the good tip. :cheers:

When you came pulling in here, did you notice a sign out in front of my house that said “Dead Carboy Storage”?[/quote]

If I’m curt with you it’s because chilling the wort is of the essence.

Back on topic, Due to multiple circumstances I dumped a Raspberry wheat(using 5lbs. of real raspberries in the secondary) in the basement staionary tub. I plugged the sanitary lift pump. I learned the splash radius of 5 gallons of the “black slop of death” from the shop vac. when dropped from waist high. (People on a septic systems know what I’m talking about). 14’ feet in every direction and 3’ up walls, washer, dryer, water softner, chest freezer, and the bottom 3 feet of my brew station.

I’ve always tended to use buckets, but this past summer I picked up a heavy duty Speidel 60l plastic tank. It can likely hold up to about 13 or 14 gal if needed. Really easy to clean. Very scratch resistant plastic. It is a luxury, but well worth the money.

When you came pulling in here, did you notice a sign out in front of my house that said “Dead Carboy Storage”?[/quote]

If I’m curt with you it’s because chilling the wort is of the essence.[/quote]
you guys had me rolling! I just kept thinking, “Say wort one more time!”

I left an immersion chiller out overnight once (I brew outside) and it froze and split the copper tubing. That was my most expensive screw up. I’ve broken a couple of carboys, fortunately empty, and now use buckets and a couple of better bottles when I need to secondary.

[quote=“Nate42”]…

I’ve had EXACTLY this problem before, and I’m totally going to be using that bottle filler trick from now on. This sort of stuff is why this place is awesome.

Thanks for the good tip. :cheers: [/quote]

+1 I learned that trick from somebody else here!

If I’m curt with you it’s because chilling the wort is of the essence.[/quote]

Hey, you are the one that dropped the carboy, why am I down here picking up glass?

My girlfriend is an airlock sniffer, which pretty much makes me an airlock sniffer

Can’t beat that story, but my first time brewing, which was last month, I used a wort chiller. I had to attach the wort chiller to a hose outside. I turned on the water, quickly ran up to my deck where the kitchen is and witnessed water flying all over the place. The hose that was supposed to be in the sink flew out with the pressure. Thankfully I had a few towels on the floor to begin with but it was a mess. Fun times for sure.

I carried this uncomfortable hunk of barley wine in my secondary for four months.

you know what they call a malty saison in France? Biere de Garde.

Lager’s lager, 'cept they call it Kronenbourg.

God I’m a $#@%ing nerd.

“Wort” ain’t no country I’ve ever heard of. They speak English in Wort?

Say ‘wort’ again. Say ‘wort’ again, I dare you!