White labs yeast

Last week I purchased my second kit, Kama Citra. Everything I read said that liquid yeast is the way to go so I purchased White Labs WLP051 California V. My question is when I receive this what do I to care for this and make sure its active for brewing this weekend. Any help wold be great, thanks

Keep the yeast in the fridge. A few days before brew day make a starter.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html

[quote=“gdtechvw”]Keep the yeast in the fridge. A few days before brew day make a starter.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html[/quote]

+1 This is your absolute best option.

With this being your 2nd brew kit I’m going to assume that you don’t have any extra DME to make a starter with. I’m going to give you a couple of options in order from best to not so best.

1. If the best by date on the vile is in July don’t bother with a starter. The yeast is still fairly fresh, and should be able to handle a 1.050 batch of beer. Your best bet would be to pitch slightly warm (70-71F) and place in an area that will keep your fermenting beer between 65-68F. This will encourage yeast growth without creating off flavors. Don’t worry to much about proofing the yeast, your odds are pretty high that you have live yeast. (on a fresh vile anyway)

2.The day before brew day borrow enough DME from your kit to make a 1L 1.035 starter, and follow the above directions. Pitch the entire active starter into 65-67F wort. ( Try to keep the temperatures of these pretty close, so you don’t shock the yeast) EDIT: Don’t forget to use 1L less water when brewing.

3.Make your starter two days prior to brewing, and chill when fermentation is done. Pour off 75% of the starter beer swirl and pitch your yeast at 65-67F.

1. Just pitch the vial of yeast on brew day and let it ride. Probably want to pitch slightly warm here also.

A heads up on the White Labs yeast viles. It’s not easy to get WLP051 out of the vile because it is so flocculant. If you shake it up before you vent pressure you will have a yeast volcano when you pitch and lose a fair amount of yeast. First take it out of the fridge sanitize the vile, and crack the lid to vent pressure. Next open quickly and pour out about 1/2 teaspoon of clear liquid and recap. Shake the hell out of it and vent again. Repeat this until all the yeast is in suspension, and not stuck the vile walls. Pitch the yeast at this point. If you let the vile warm up it will continue to create pressure and you still may have a yeast volcano.

With liquid yeast aeration in much more important, so double whatever you did on your last batch. :cheers:

[quote=“Beerginer”] Just pitch the vial of yeast on brew day and let it ride. A heads up on the White Labs yeast viles. It’s not easy to get WLP051 out of the vile because it is so flocculant. If you shake it up before you vent pressure you will have a yeast volcano when you pitch and lose a fair amount of yeast. First take it out of the fridge sanitize the vile, and crack the lid to vent pressure. Next open quickly and pour out about 1/2 teaspoon of clear liquid and recap. Shake the hell out of it and vent again. Repeat this until all the yeast is in suspension, and not stuck the vile walls. Pitch the yeast at this point. If you let the vile warm up it will continue to create pressure and you still may have a yeast volcano.

With liquid yeast aeration in much more important, so double whatever you did on your last batch. :cheers: [/quote]

Great advice here. I used to always preach, STARTER, STARTER. In the past few years I have gotten my White Labs yeast from my local homebrew store and has been always less than 2 months old. Every batch under 1.060 I just pitched at ferment temp and turned out great beer!

So I’m reading this post, and I have a question for my brew this weekend. I’m brewing a 1.066 brew. Using 1450 Denny’s Fav made in February. Do I just pitch that, or make a starter? This is only my second batch, haven’t made a starter before.
Thanks!

Why use 1L less water on brew day if you’re going to decant 75% of your starter?

To the OP, note that decanting is optional. I never do it. It’s not a harmful step. It’s just unnecessary.

[quote=“macminn18”]So I’m reading this post, and I have a question for my brew this weekend. I’m brewing a 1.066 brew. Using 1450 Denny’s Fav made in February. Do I just pitch that, or make a starter? This is only my second batch, haven’t made a starter before.
Thanks![/quote]
If you have the ability to make a starter, I would advise doing so.

If you see yourself continuing to brew, a stir plate is a worthwhile investment.

[quote=“kcbeersnob”][quote=“Beerginer”]
2.The day before brew day borrow enough DME from your kit to make a 1L 1.035 starter, and follow the above directions. Pitch the entire active starter into 65-67F wort. ( Try to keep the temperatures of these pretty close, so you don’t shock the yeast) EDIT: Don’t forget to use 1L less water when brewing.

3.Make your starter two days prior to brewing, and chill when fermentation is done. Pour off 75% of the starter beer swirl and pitch your yeast at 65-67F.
[/quote]
Why use 1L less water on brew day if you’re going to decant 75% of your starter?

To the OP, note that decanting is optional. I never do it. It’s not a harmful step. It’s just unnecessary.[/quote]

kc, that was only for option #2 in which he would add the entire 1L active starter. This is just an attempt to not effect his OG to much, since he may have to take some of the DME from his kit to make the starter.

[quote=“macminn18”]So I’m reading this post, and I have a question for my brew this weekend. I’m brewing a 1.066 brew. Using 1450 Denny’s Fav made in February. Do I just pitch that, or make a starter? This is only my second batch, haven’t made a starter before.
Thanks![/quote]

For an optimal fermentation, a starter would be your best bet. I also know brewers who never make a starter and they make good beer, so I’m not saying you will ruin your beer if you don’t use a starter. Check out this yeast pitch calculator for future help. :cheers:

[quote=“Beerginer”]
kc, that was only for option #2 in which he would add the entire 1L active starter. This is just an attempt to not effect his OG to much, since he may have to take some of the DME from his kit to make the starter.[/quote]
Ah, OK. This is what I get for only skimming. I saw a numbered list and immediately thought of it as a sequence of steps. I use bullet points or letters for a list that is not meant to be a sequence.

Thanks for the input guys, I’ll let you know how I make out