White IPA opinions

I’m looking for a few suggestions on what to do for a white IPA. I’m looking for grain bill, yeast, hops, and spice considerations.

Grain bill- 5 gal batch

Briess 2 Row - 1.2lbs- 12% -Neutral base malt
Weyermann Pilsner - 5.5lbs - 57% -Good husky/grainy base malt
Briess Red Wheat - 2lbs - 21% -Main source of wheat with lowest color impact
Briess Flaked Wheat - 1lbs- 10% -Extra head retention and haze

Yeast

WLP500 or WLP001 both on hand

Hops/Finishing hops (40 IBUs)

Citra or Sorachi Ace

Not sure if I will spice it at all. I am looking for a white IPA that has characteristics of both an American IPA and a Wit whose flavors will complement yet never overwhelm. I want focus to be on more atypical hops with definitive tropical or lemon citrus tones. Maybe with a background of spices.

I’m not saying it’s a bad idea, but I’m curious why you’re adding the small amount of US 2-row? Personally I don’t see it making a difference in the outcome of the beer. I’d keep it simple and go with the 2-row or the pilsner, but not both.

The ratio of wheat looks reasonable. I could see going even higher to really make it stand out.

I like the idea of using a clean American yeast. I’ve been planning a recipe where I do the same. It seems like the very few white IPA’s I’ve seen (there aren’t many) use Belgian yeast.

Have you ever used Sorachi Ace before? I have not worked up the nerve to try SA, because of the overwhelmingly negative things I’ve read (the most memorable of which is a description of “lemon pledge”). This could be very nice as a Citra single-hop brew. I think a bit of orange peel and coriander would play pretty well with Citra if you wanted to go that route.

Thank you for your response, to answer a few questions:

I plan on using no more than the 30% of wheat for lautering reasons.

I am still in undecided as to whether I want to use WLP001 or WLP500. I like the low flocculation of 500 but would be interested in what I can make of a clean yeast.

Sorachi Ace would be a new variety for me but I am looking for a unique hop that isn’t the same old, typical American aromas. Citra would be new as well and I hadn’t considered it but would be open to making this a single hopped beer.

Interesting. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone sat that before, but I’m still pretty new to this hobby/obsession.

[quote=“nenahbball”]
Sorachi Ace would be a new variety for me but I am looking for a unique hop that isn’t the same old, typical American aromas. Citra would be new as well and I hadn’t considered it but would be open to making this a single hopped beer.[/quote]
I don’t think Citra has quite become one of the typical American aromas. Too hard to get and really not a dominant aromatic when used in combination with the typical American hops. Have you considered pairing it with a spicy/earthy hop for a different twist from the typical citrus, floral, resiny American IPA profile?

I like sorachi ace. I’ve read that using a lot of it doesn’t taste great, but I FWH and steep with modest amounts when I use it.

Update:

I have taken the time today to smell closely all the hops I have in inventory. I have decided to use glacier as a bittering/flavor hop because of its low cohumulone level as I want a smooth bitterness. For my late and dry hopping I will be using Ahatnum, Amarillo, and Cascade. This differs from my initial idea but is more logical as I have them around. I found a beautiful fresh flower smell from the ahatnum that will complement maybe some rose hips and coriander. The Amarillo and Cascade should work well staying away from piney smells and build a straight-forward citrus nose.

I believe I will be using the WLP500 because it might influence some complementary fruitiness, and yes I like low flocculation to give this Wit/IPA a solid haze to it.

Keep ideas/considerations coming, there greatly appreciated.

I think you’re going in a solid direction with hops you’ve selected. Glacier has become one of my favorite hops for both bittering and aroma. I did a single-hop wheat with Glacier during the summer. Although I didn’t think the hops presented much aroma from the bag, they really came through with a very nice apricot/peach flavor.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

By the way, if you can get your hands on the July/Aug issue of Zymurgy, a Deschutes brewer provided clone recipes for Chainbreaker and Conflux #2.