White House home brew

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/48682191/ ... -foodwine/

Thought I’d share this article I found today from the campaign trail…

I’ll keep my personal politics out of it and just enjoy the beer article!

Obama has done multiple batches at the white house. Even used honey from their bee hive once.

edit: I should have read the article it mentions the above honey.

But yes they have been brewing for some time. Did a st patty and super bowl beer as well.

What are the chances that they’ll make the recipe available?

How awkward would it be to have the president share his beer with you and it was bad? “Traditions, Mr. president. This is… Nice”

I imagine it’s quite tasty given that it’s brewed by the White House kitchen.

Obama seems to be a joker so I would take a swig then spit it out like you see in the movies… just to get his goat!

Shade, I agree. I think there was a thread about the super bowl beer and that the cook has been a long time homebrewer so I am assuming that he has at least enough experience to produce a decent product.

Obama did not Brew the Beer the chefs on staff did.

Billy Beer. 'nuff said.

and I know that was Carter’s brother, but that’s as close as it’s gonna get.

This is a fact. I’m not sure why people keep referring to the president as a homebrewer.

This is a fact. I’m not sure why people keep referring to the president as a homebrewer.[/quote]

I guess you could say he is a homebrewer supporter.

Politics and personal preference aside, the craft of homebrewing can only benefit from White House demonstration projects. :cheers:

[quote=“KISS Brew”][quote=“Jon462”]Obama did not Brew the Beer the chefs on staff did.[/quote]This is a fact. I’m not sure why people keep referring to the president as a homebrewer.[/quote]Only a non-homebrewer would call Obama a homebrewer, and who cares what those kind of people think or say? :wink: The article makes it clear that Obama is not doing the brewing: “The beer, which comes in both a light and dark variety, is made by the White House chefs who use traditional beer-brewing methods.”

:frowning: I really wanted him to be on board. At least he’s an advocate.

Wouldn’t it be nice if Presidential support for homebrewing resulted in relaxed homebrewing laws? No such luck, since our specific rights are defined by state law. In KS, the white house staff would be breaking the law by serving their homebrew to the president.

What law would they violate if they are staff serving the President? I’m curious and not aware of Kansas laws…

In Kansas, consumption of homebrew is limited to “the maker and the maker’s family.”

Woah! Unacceptable!

Woah! Unacceptable![/quote]

Inless the chef has a permit he may have broken Iowa laws.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/p ... utes/iowa/

No offence, but one more reason to not go to Kansas. :wink:

[quote=“Rookie L A”]
No offence, but one more reason to not go to Kansas. :wink: [/quote]
A couple reasons to come to Kansas: Free State Brewing and Tallgrass Brewing. That’s pretty much all I can think of though, except of course catching a game at Allen Field House. I guess some people like auto racing and would enjoy a day at Kansas Speedway, but I’ll never understand that.

If I had more time on my hands, I guess I could start harassing my state rep. I wonder how many politicians are interesting in loosening up the liquor laws around election time in a state just just got Sunday liquor sales a few years ago.

That is why I live in CO stae law here is make share love it …