Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

"Whirlpool" Spice Additions

We brewed bear-flavored’s Heady Topper clone last weekend, and the beer has just over 1# of hops in it. All of the hops are added at flameout and whirlpool (it actually doesn’t even call for bittering hops, but does have hop extract @ 90 minutes).

It got me thinking, when I brew my wit, I add about a cup of fresh citrus zest, crushed Indian Coriander, and chamomile at flameout. My question is, would it make more sense to add these around 180* during chilling? The wit smells UNBELIEVABLE when it is chilling, but if I am smelling it then, that means its no longer in the beer.

Those aren’t adjuncts, they’re spices… :smiley:

I think a whirlpool/stand would would work well but never done it. Actually, I’ve never even brewed a wit before and would like to someday. Seems like most recipes are unnecessarily complex… In any event, I think the key to whirlpooling/standing is keeping the lid on trapping the volatiles. I am also of the belief that stirring or actually whirlpooling is necessary to the technique.

Need to try Heady Topper someday as it very similar in many ways to my house IPA.

[quote=“zwiller”]
Need to try Heady Topper someday as it very similar in many ways to my house IPA.[/quote]

sounds like a fine IPA! Do you use an english ale yeast? It seems really key to the beer (kind of like a wit).

During our brewday, we tried a commercial Heady next to a Pliny and (though we are all East Coasters and biased), we really preferred the Heady. Dry but not bone dry. Minimal caramel malts, but an awesome bready body. Really creamy mouthfeel. The yeast also contributes some esters that just work really well with the hops.

Just made the move to WLP007 from using chico for 20 years and did my first IPA Saturday with it. Made a porter with it and it RAWKS! To say I am very excited about the IPA is understatement. BTW the IPA is 1.075… Maybe time to call it an imperial. :smiley:

If you don’t mind, tell me about this wit. Doing a bunch of steps/cereal mash or what? Any advice to a rookie wit brewer?

I basically make a variation of the version discussed on the ‘Wit’ episode of the Jamil Show, which is actually with Doc Lothamer (instead of Jamil), who gives some AWESOME advice on brewing the style. I cannot recommend listening to this free podcast enough if you want to make a wit. The recipe they give is simply awesome, but I have made a tweak or two to suit my own taste. The one thing they say that I disagree with in this ep is that it doesn’t age well. I found a growler of mine that was 6 months old and it was great (maybe I just missed having it on hand).

I personally do a 2-step mash with decoction, beta-glucan, sacc rests and mash out, but didn’t do a cereal mash since i used instant (pre-gelatinized I think) oats. I do use unmalted wheat as well, wheat malt, belgian pils as my base malt and a whole $#!+load of rice hulls. I actually may experiment with some Zythos/Galaxy hops at flameout to give an extra depth of aroma. The best thing about the style is you can really do whatever you want. I have a buddy that makes one with kiwi, another that makes a great lavender wit.

I frigging love this style, but Blue Moon and ShTop have done to it what Bennigans did to the daiquiri. I actually don’t mind those beers in a pinch, but they are just so far beneath Allagash or Celis, or even Hoegaarden if you ask me.

Doc actually talks about how he will send a witbier back if they give it to him with an orange wedge.

Thanks, will check it out. I do have Brewing Wheat Beers and they have some good info there about wits. Maybe I should try a wit since the harder the try to improve my hefes the worse they get…

They can’t help it, they’re hefes

:mrgreen:

Intrigued about wits, I was reading Brewing Wheat Beers when I stumbled upon that Celis White is whirlpooled spiced. Also was totally stoked see some other well known wit brewers doing infusion mashing. Most have split the amount of wheat with malted wheat. Most commented that the critical things for wits are elevated fermentation temps and spices.

Thinking of a doing a wit. 60% pils, 20% flaked wheat, 20% malted wheat but have no wit yeast. I have 3711 and 3726, think I can pull it off with one of these?

[quote=“zwiller”]Intrigued about wits, I was reading Brewing Wheat Beers when I stumbled upon that Celis White is whirlpooled spiced. Also was totally stoked see some other well known wit brewers doing infusion mashing. Most have split the amount of wheat with malted wheat. Most commented that the critical things for wits are elevated fermentation temps and spices.

Thinking of a doing a wit. 60% pils, 20% flaked wheat, 20% malted wheat but have no wit yeast. I have 3711 and 3726, think I can pull it off with one of these?[/quote]

Negative. I would say this style only really works with the wit yeast. I think saisons would dry it out too much and thin out the body, but that said, I haven’t tried it. Wit yeast fermented starting in the low 60’s, then raised up into the low 70’s after 3 days will give you a nice mix of pepper and subtle clove.

Thanks. Might just do a saison since I have tendency to let yeast get old and the LHBS gets $10 for yeast… Can you crank wits out quickly like a hefe? I normally can push them out in 2 weeks tops.

Yep, many say they are way better fresh, though I found a growler-conditioned growler of mine 7 months after bottling and it was AWESOME.

HOWEVER, this is one style I really like to bottle-condition, as the yeast at serving does change the flavor considerably (and make it more ‘white’).

I hear ya on yeast prices. You may be able to grab a bomber of Ommegang or a sixer of Celis/Hoegaarden (not sure if any/all of these are bottle-yeasted differently or filtered), and get some yeast that way.

I say spring for it (pun fully intended)…great time of year for these…

[quote=“Pietro”][quote=“zwiller”]Intrigued about wits, I was reading Brewing Wheat Beers when I stumbled upon that Celis White is whirlpooled spiced. Also was totally stoked see some other well known wit brewers doing infusion mashing. Most have split the amount of wheat with malted wheat. Most commented that the critical things for wits are elevated fermentation temps and spices.

Thinking of a doing a wit. 60% pils, 20% flaked wheat, 20% malted wheat but have no wit yeast. I have 3711 and 3726, think I can pull it off with one of these?[/quote]

Negative. I would say this style only really works with the wit yeast. I think saisons would dry it out too much and thin out the body, but that said, I haven’t tried it. Wit yeast fermented starting in the low 60’s, then raised up into the low 70’s after 3 days will give you a nice mix of pepper and subtle clove.[/quote]

Little late to the party, but I agree. I brewed a wit and used 3711, not bad, but NOT a wit. The yeast is key.

Water is heating up for a wit as I type this. :cheers:

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com