Whirlpool hopping advice

So I just upgraded my system by adding a chugger pump and a whirlpool arm to my immersion chiller and want to try my house IPA using whirlpool hopping. I’m not sure what is the best way to convert my recipe. I tried just moving ALL of the hop additions (except bittering) to whirlpool (using beersmith) but the IBUs came out to >100. Anyone have some good advice on the best way to do it?
The recipe is as follows:

Batch Size: 5.50 gal Style: American IPA (14B)
Boil Size: 7.89 gal Style Guide: BJCP 2008
Color: 7.6 SRM Equipment: BTD-5.5
Bitterness: 66.5 IBUs Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.064 (15.6° P) Mash Profile: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Est FG: 1.015 SG (3.8° P) Fermentation: Conical
ABV: 6.5%

Ingredients
Amount Name Type #

12 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
9.6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
0.7 oz Magnum [14.0%] - Boil 60 min
0.5 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 15 min
0.5 oz Chinook [13.0%] - Boil 15 min
1.00 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15 min)
0.4 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 10 min
0.4 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 10 min
0.5 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 5 min
0.5 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 5
0.5 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 0 min
0.5 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 0 min
0.5 oz Chinook [13.0%] - Boil 0 min
2 pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)-starter
2.0 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Dry Hop 4 days
0.6 oz Chinook [13.0%] - Dry Hop 4 days

Mash 152 for 60min

Thanks

Did you adjust the whirlpool time in Beersmith? I think it defaults to something like 60 mins. If you adjust it that may change the IBU calculation.

Hops at flameout or whirlpool aren’t going to give you much IBU’s as the wort temp will drop below a temp that will extract IBU’s. It’s mainly done to enhance hop flavor. If you are going to whirlpool with whole hops you will loose some volume due to absorption. Whirlpool your zero addition hops and then adjust your dry hops to taste.

Actually if you keep your wort above 180* the alpha acids will continue to isomerize and can actually add quite a bit of IBU’s. As long as you don’t start running cold water through your immersion chiller and with a lid on you can keep it above 180* for at least 30 minutes if not more. I assume you will lose some heat while pumping it in and out of your kettle though.

Actually if you keep your wort above 180* the alpha acids will continue to isomerize and can actually add quite a bit of IBU’s. As long as you don’t start running cold water through your immersion chiller and with a lid on you can keep it above 180* for at least 30 minutes if not more. I assume you will lose some heat while pumping it in and out of your kettle though.[/quote]

Totally agree, but with most average homebrew setups you would almost have to try to keep that temp up above 180 even if you are not running cold water through. Now keep in mind I live in Wisconsin so people in warmer climates mileage could vary. I also have a separate vessel for whirlpooling in so my wort contact with the hops are less as well then just dumping hops in the boil kettle and recirculating.

Yes, I adjusted the time to 30 min. Just trying to figure out how most people do it. I guess I can proportionally decrease the hops until beersmith says I have about the IBUs I want but I think the program assumes I’m adding at flameout, not 180.