Which yeast do you recommend to use to brew an all grain kolsch?

I am wondering whether I should use a White Labs WLP029 kolsch yeast or a Safale K-97 german ale yeast to brew an all grain kilsch. Has anyone used either of these yeasts when brewing a kolsch? Which yeast would you use to produce a flavorful kolsch?

I have been meaning to try K-97 but I haven’t used it yet. I have a pack in my refrigerator so I should know more later this year.

WLP029 is a very good yeast and turns out fine. However I think I like the flavor from Wyeast 2565 a little better. The only trouble with 2565 is that it takes forever to clear, like 6 or 7 weeks. (WLP029 is totally different, and clears very fast in just a week or two.) If you want you can add gelatin at the end of fermentation to knock the yeast out of suspension, that’s what I would do these days. Same story for Wyeast 1007, which I think would also make an excellent kolsch. I have only used 1007 for an altbier but based on how great it was, I think it would work great in a kolsch too. Same problem though, you need to age a long time or else use gelatin to knock it out.

Based on things I have read, K-97 might not be a kolsch yeast, but rather more similar to 1007. I hope it is, as 1007 is just excellent.

1 Like

WY 1007 is awesome. Used it for a mocktoberfest that turned out almost as good as my oktoberfest.

1 Like

I love k97…leaves a nice silky mouthfeel.

1 Like

Going to agree with Dave, 2565 makes a great kölsch. But yeah, takes forever to clear. But well worth it, one of my favorite lagers. Right @sneezles61? :grin:

1 Like

Do you ferment at ale temp? then … Lager? With lager yeast… OR ferment at lager temp and just a quick ale condition? With ale yeast… hhhmmm :flushed: I haven’t done a Kolsch for a llooonngg time… That was one of the first brews I did in early 2000’s… So, could altbier and kolsch be paradigm’s? Sneezles61

Ale… lager… those terms just make my head hurt… :sweat_smile: And that a traditional IPA is not an ale but a beer by British standards. Those crazy peeps.

Both altbier and kolsch would be top-fermenting lagers if we allowed the Germans to classify them.

Ok, done derailing this thread. :smiley_cat:

1 Like

I’ve used WY1007 twice for Kolsches (as well as multiple times for Alts. For me, it works great.