Which fresh wine grapes are easier to make wine from

I live in southern California (outside of Los Angeles) and there are no wineries near me except one in san Pedro California. They are starting to get fresh grapes in and soon they will get a lot of fresh wine grapes. When I have called them, they just said you have to call in the morning to see what they will be getting in.

so, here is my question: are there certain variety of wine grapes that are less complicated to make wine from than others. I know that is a loaded question but if I had a basic idea, when I call and he mentioned those varieties, I could get in my car and drive down there early in the morning before they are all sold out.

thank you
Wine buff :wink:

Winemaking starts with inspecting the grapes. Make sure they are ripe by squishing up a good double handful, straining the juice and measuring the sugar level with a hydrometer, a handy device you can buy at a winemaking supply shop. The sugar density should be around 22° Brix - this equals 1.0982 specific gravity or 11 percent potential alcohol - and the fruit should taste sweet, ripe and slightly tart.

The grapes also must be clean, sound and relatively free of insects and other vineyard debris. Discard any grapes that look rotten or otherwise suspicious. Also, it’s very important that all the stems are removed, since they will make your wine bitter.

Hard question to answer. It to some extend depends on your equipment, but in general red grapes are easier than white, and good grapes (that are perfectly ripe and free of rot, mold and foreign materials) are easier than bad grapes.

In terms of varieties, vinifera (European wine grapes) are better than American species or most hybrid varieties, and those that don’t need ML fermentation are easier than those which do.

You might want to pick up a book on making wine from fresh grapes.

As rebuilt cellars says, it’s a very hard question to answer. It is indeed said that reds are easier than whites but I’ve never had much luck with reds. All of my whites seem to go easily and turn out exceptionally good. Rieslings and Gerwurtztraminers seem to go well. Pinot Noir are exceptionally difficult. Again, invest a few bucks in a book. This isn’t like making wine from kits. A lot more work, a lot more time and ten times the knowledge needed. :cheers:

I have to say that I agree with Johncieera. And also this is a hard question to ask so better experiment with yourself. Hope you can find some related articles on
http://www.elucidgent.com/