Where's Waldo?

I fat-fingered an ingredients order one morning before work, ending up with a few items I didn’t intend to acquire. The second beer I was buying for was Denny’s Waldo Lake Amber, and it was unfortunately the victim of my mouse-challenged acquisitions.

Rather than 1450, I ended up with a second pack of 1469. I double pitched the ESB rather than use a starter, so no big deal there. But this left me with US05 for the Amber. When I went to crush grain, I discovered that rather than CaraRed I had CaraBelge. There goes the Amber… I decided to go with it, and added 2oz of debittered black for color.

Mashed at 156 for a bit more body, to recover from the yeast sub. Hit my targets, and after five weeks, I’ve kegged a slightly less than amber beer, which finished out at 1.017.

The good news is it is pretty awesome. Also I still get the chance to try Denny’s original recipe later to see how that one turns out. I’m calling this one, “Where’s Waldo?”, since I think it is just far enough from his intent that I can’t claim it’s the same.

More evidence for RDWHAH!

Further proof that “mistakes” can still end in good beer rather than failure and creativity is what it’s about.

I brew that recipe often. Last couple times I’ve used 1272 rather than Denny’s Fave and it turned out great. Not quite as malty but still a stellar amber.

1272 was my house yeast before I found out about 1450. Great yeast.

I did the WLA back in October, and still have 1/2 case left. It truly is a great recipe, and a wonderful yeast(I used it for an Irish Red, and a Porter as well as the WLA).
Thanks Denny!

[quote=“JimRMaine”]I did the WLA back in October, and still have 1/2 case left. It truly is a great recipe, and a wonderful yeast(I used it for an Irish Red, and a Porter as well as the WLA).
Thanks Denny![/quote]

Thank you!

Yeah, 1450 makes a great black IPA as well.