Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Where do I put the hops

When I am doing my boil, is it better to put the hops in the muslin bag or directly into the wort and then strain when I transfer to the fermenter? Does it matter?

There is some debate on this, but boiling hops in a bag may result in less hop utilization. Using a bag, however, does result in less gunk… and there is not a debate about that.

If you’re not overly concerned with IBU’s, go ahead and use the bag. If you’re not overly concerned about more sediment going into the fermenter, skip the bag.

I personally don’t use a hop bag, but plenty of great brewers do! In short, do whatever you want, this decision will not be the difference between good and bad beer. Cheers!

I’ve never had too much an issue with “gunk”, so I only use a bag when dry-hopping.

I’m still pretty new, but this technique was adopted after I asked this question as well and I am happy with the results.

Best!

OK, I am going to try it without the bag this time. I have a strainer funnel that I will use to transfer to the fermenter so all should remain behind. Getting ready to start in about an hour or so.

I used to use bags, but found it was just one more thing to clean. The only time I use bags now is when I’m using whole hops, because they always clog up the kettle valve.

Just drop them into the boil. Use a strainer if you want. Everything eventually settles to the bottom anyway.

[quote=“Norman”]Just drop them into the boil. Use a strainer if you want. Everything eventually settles to the bottom anyway.[/quote]Or.
+1
The paint strainer bags from HD works very well If you ferment in buckets.
Strain after the boil.
Edit to say "Or’.

I drop 'em right into the boil. Then aftrer it’s chilled, I whirlpool, so most of the trub drops in the center of the pot. Then, I transfer to the fermenter using a funnel that has the screen in it. I usually have to clean the screen once or twice. Works very well for me.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com