Where did I go wrong?

Most hydrometers are calibrated at 60F. What temp are you measuring at? Also check your hydrometer in tap water to make sure it reads 1.000.

Seems like something else is going on here. Even at cooler temps, that beer should have fermented further than it initially did over 4 weeks. Then you repitched 2 packs of yeast and you said you saw lots of activity for a week… but after all this, the gravity is still only at 1.031?

Are you certain you’re reading the hydrometer correctly? Maybe the piece of paper inside moved. Check to make sure the hyrdometer is calibrated. That’s where I’d start.

Something just isn’t adding up here.

[quote=“thedrunkenchef”]Hey lads,
Update here.

Pitched in 2 packs of US-05 right into the keg. attached gas line to keg, left nut end in sani, shook the hell out of it, left in corner for a week or so. Had lots of action for about a week, took a gravity measure a moment ago, yeast didn’t do s#it.
gravity at 1.031.

What now?
more yeast?[/quote]

Nope. It’s done. Don’t abuse it any more.

Make sure you degass your sample that you are testing. If there is a large amount of C02 absorbed this could also affect your hydrometer reading.

I agree with dobe, something isn’t right here. If you actually saw fermentation activity after adding yeast the second time I would think it would have had to lowered in gravity even a little.

[quote=“mattnaik”]Make sure you degass your sample that you are testing. If there is a large amount of C02 absorbed this could also affect your hydrometer reading.

I agree with dobe, something isn’t right here. If you actually saw fermentation activity after adding yeast the second time I would think it would have had to lowered in gravity even a little.[/quote]

Depends on what he means by “action”. Actual fermentation with krausen or just CO2 escaping?

Just took a hydro reading of some filtered (not distilled) water, read 1.003. I’m thinking I’m going to dump this. LHBS said same thing y’all been saying; there’s no reason for the brew to stall out like that.