When to pitcfh for a double boil?

In the near future I’m planning on doing a double boil (2 - 10 gal boils of the same recipe). I’ll be putting both boils into the same fermenter. So when should I pitch the yeast? Should I pitch half the yeast after the first boil or wait until I’m finished with the second boil and pitch all the yeast at once? Someone on another forum said to pitch all the yeast after the first boil. What does everyone think?

Thanks,

Dennis

You will want to pitch it all after the first boil. It will multiply and be ready for the increased amount of wort when you add the rest.

I think it depends on your process. Are you doing both boils on the same day? Are you able to chill to pitching temp before transferring to the fermenter? How are you aerating prior to pitching?

I’m not sure yet about if I will do both boils on the same day. I’m planning on a Hefe and my mash tun doesn’t allow for enough boiled water to bring the temp up from the protein rest. I’ve been doing 2 mashes for Hefe’s. One for the wheat with a protein rest and one for the base malts without the protein rest. So it would be a long day but I’m still planning on one day - two boils.

Yes, I have a wort chiller and can get my temp down.

I haven’t technically been aerating before the pitch. I use a funnel with a screen to stain residue out and that creates a drop into the bucket that I take downstairs to dump into the fermenter (which also aerates a little). This has been working well so far.

Thanks,

Dennis

As long as you can get the wort to pitching temp before transfer, I would pitch the yeast to the first batch and then add the second wort on top.

I do AG double boils almost exclusively because of I still use a 5 gallon pot on the kitchen stove and to get 5gallons post boil, I need two “half” batch mashes/boils. After the second boil has cooled sufficiently, I add it to my fermentor with my first boil so both reach equilibrium together.

Once the combined batch is cooled sufficiently to my desired pitch temp, I pitch/aerate.

cheers.