When to bottle opinions

So, hypothetically - if your ale has completed fermenting and you can verify through gravity readings: is there a downfall to bottling immediately (i.e. 2 weeks of fermentation, directly to bottle). I would assume the reasons for leaving in primary or racking to secondary depend on clarity and style of beer. BUT realistically - isn’t it a viable option if you want to taste your beer faster?

I mean, ideally - we all know that time is a brewers best friend, just seeing what others thoughts are on the topic. My brew buddy and I have mixed feelings over the issue. I feel as though, fermenting longer in the primary is ideal. Where as he sees bottling the beer once completed is more convenient for him. I’ve tasted several beers in which he used this method (ie. 12 - 14 days fermentation, direct into bottle) and they are great. Just your thoughts?

There’s nothing wrong with doing it that way, as long as the beer is done. Some people get better results waiting longer, but if you don’t want to, then don’t. I wait 3 weeks.

Figured. I used to rack to 2ndary but prefer sticking to the primary for 3-4 weeks. usually the longer the better because I find stuff to occupy my free time limiting my motivation to r
ack/bottle.

if you manipulate your fermentation temperature, you can finish up a fermentation very quickly. Nano’s/crafts/regionals make great beer and turn it around quickly. For instance, I had a premium bitter that was 10 days, grain to glass:

-day 1: pitch yeast after chilling to 65, let krausen activity raise beer temp up to 67
-day 4: remove from ferm chamber, leave somewhere in house (ambient temp 67-69) as a borderline diacetyl rest/keep-the-yeast-active rest
day 8: crash chill to 34*
day 9: gelatin
day 10: rack to keg, quick force carb, serve a few hours later

Obviously bottling/priming would tack another few weeks on to consumption

I let the fermented beer sit on the yeast cake for a few days to a few weeks depending on when it is convenient. The yeast “cleans up” the beer even after fermentation is complete.

For most of my brews, I prefer 10 days each in primary and secondary. It gives the yeast time to clean-up some and settle as well. :cheers: Tank