When is a yeast starter done?

That should be fine. Assuming you’re using a fairly fresh yeast packet/vial, for ales a single 1L starter should be enough for anything with an OG up to 1.060 or so, and a single 2L starter can probably take you to 1.080ish.

(edit: fixed bad quote markup)

I’m not even sure a step like 1L to 2L, results in cell doubling does it? I sometimes wonder if I’m just not feeding whats there. But I have no cytometer although I think the kids have a cheap microscope so I should probably get one and answer this for myself.

Nah, I don’t think that one would. I think that pitching 100B cells into a 2L wort would double your cells, though. Not that I’ve tried measuring it myself, either, I’m just going off a table of data that Jamil published in that book I mentioned up above.

Since for me this is my first, I am keeping it simple. I JUST bought a 2000 mL flask, I think I will make about a 1400 mL batch (using whatever is the right ratios etc,) and let it go for about 2 days, then cold crash it a day or so in advance.

will be both for the NB carribo slobber, and seperately for the NB Honey Kolsch

just 5 gallon extract kits

now I may need to look into building a stir plate. :stuck_out_tongue:

That should work fine. I only step up with an old harvest or for lagers where I usually do a 1 - 2 liter first step and then a gallon second step.