When do you add the Irish moss?

I got a kit that has a Whirfloc tablet and the instructions do not state when to add this. I am brewing now so any help would be great

whirlfloc usually goes in about 15 min before the end of the boil. I use 1/2 tablet in 5 gallons.

Ron

I sometimes add it at 10 minutes due to my ic and other hop additions being added at 15.

I put it in at 10. Thanks for the info guys!

Last 5 minutes of the boil. There’s lots of discussions on this forum about anything longer than 5 minutes being detrimental to the effectiveness of the Whirlfloc.

Good to know, Greg. Thanks.

Ron

I read that too about the 5 minutes. I added it at 5 minutes the last brew. Is it even worth the effort to add that tabs? Does it make that much difference?

I got a much more noticeable cold break when I started using it.

Ron

the manufacturer says any sooner than the last 5 minutes destroys it’s effectiveness.

It’s funny cause most of the packages out there (that I’ve seen) say to add it in the last 15 minutes. I started adding it in the last 5 minutes since I’ve heard about this lowering its effectiveness. Either the packages are really old or some of the manufacturers have a different opinion?

LD carlson says last 15 minutes, but my money is on homebrewers with experience. Although, I did get noticeable results when adding at 15. Go figure.

Cheers,
Ron

This is the manufacturer’s recommendation. It’s also what I do and it works great.

It’s funny cause most of the packages out there (that I’ve seen) say to add it in the last 15 minutes. I started adding it in the last 5 minutes since I’ve heard about this lowering its effectiveness. Either the packages are really old or some of the manufacturers have a different opinion?[/quote]

It all comes from the same manufacturer (Kerry in Ireland) and gets repackaged by wholesalers. They put the directions on it.

I add Irish moss at the 10 minute mark, but I hydrate it at about the same time I start the boil. Don’t know if that is optimal or not, but I get really clear beer as a rule. Then again, I’m pretty careful about pH, getting a good boil and rapid cooling, and find that even those beers that don’t get Irish moss (like weissbiers) also tend to clear more than I’d ideally like, so maybe I’m not the best source for info on this.

Do you have a reference from the manufacturer, I wasn’t able to find any on their website.

I know it’s suppose to bind to haze forming proteins and larger trub molecules but I’m not sure why boiling longer would affect it.

Perhaps a longer boil reduces it’s binding effectiveness.

I’ve added it anywhere from 1min - 15min before the end and can’t generally tell the difference.

What seems to make a bigger difference is how fast I can cool the wort (combined with the whirlfloc).

Do you have a reference from the manufacturer, I wasn’t able to find any on their website.

I know it’s suppose to bind to haze forming proteins and larger trub molecules but I’m not sure why boiling longer would affect it.

I’ve added it anywhere from 1min - 15min before the end and can’t generally tell the difference.

What seems to make a bigger difference is how fast I can cool the wort (combined with the whirlfloc).[/quote]

What, you don’t believe me? :wink:

What seems to make a bigger difference is how fast I can cool the wort (combined with the whirlfloc).[/quote]

What, you don’t believe me? :wink: [/quote]

Nah, just wanted some to read about how it works, that’s all.