Wheat advice

Planning on brewing a wit on the 4th. Instead of paying $3.50 a # for flaked wheat, I bought rolled red wheat at .75 a #.

I don’t know if it’s pre-geletanized, so would it require a cereal mash for conversion?

My planned grist is 5# pilsner or 2-row, 3# rolled red wheat, 1# wheat malt, and 1# rolled oats.

Thanks, Mike.

It is almost certainly not pre-gelatinized, so yes plan on a cereal mash.

[quote=“mrv”]Planning on brewing a wit on the 4th. Instead of paying $3.50 a # for flaked wheat, I bought rolled red wheat at .75 a #.

I don’t know if it’s pre-geletanized, so would it require a cereal mash for conversion?

My planned grist is 5# pilsner or 2-row, 3# rolled red wheat, 1# wheat malt, and 1# rolled oats.

Thanks, Mike.[/quote]

Isn’t rolled wheat basically the same thing as flaked?
I’ve used the red wheat in a recipe or two and used it the same as flaked white wheat.

That’s kind of what I was wondering. Is it steamed or heated somehow before rolling?
I use a 5-grain mix in another beer that consists of barley, wheat, oats, and a couple others.
It looks like rolled oats.

I don’t do a cereal mash when I use raw wheat, only a protein rest at 122 and it works out fine. I get both the efficiency and flavors desired. Pretty sure that the wheat gelatinazes temp in in the realm of normal mash temps such that a cereal mash isn’t absolutely needed (though it may improve efficiency).

If it’s anything like flaked vs. rolled oats, I use the store bought stuff (rolled) all the time.