What's your go-to yeast

Just curious what other brewers use as their go-to yeast and why.

Whenever I’m formulating a new recipe, I tend to start with Wyeast 1335 (british ale II). It’s a fairly clean yeast, forgives a lot at both ends of the temperature spectrum, and lets me taste everything else in the beer so I can figure out what broad changes I want to make before fine-tuning. I also know that, since it’s a frequently used variety, that it will be available when I need it and is likely to be quite fresh.

I’d have to say that mine is Safale 04. I’ve always had a great experience when using it and I like how the temp range is into the lower 60s as for me it is easier to manage low sixties than high sixties.

Right now I’m using mostly S-34/70 which has become my go to lager yeast. I mostly use dry yeast, because liquid is scarce and expensive where I am.

When I get back into ales again, I will use a lot of 05 and Nottingham. But my favorite ale yeast is WY 1168 London ESB. I do plan on using this one a lot more in the future, and saving money by repitching the cake.

WY1450…cause it’s my favorite!

US-05 without a doubt. I use probably 40-80 packets per year.

[quote=“Denny”]WY1450…cause it’s my favorite![/quote]It does have a catchy name!

Lagers would be 34-70 and ales wy1469

I always keep a couple of 05’s around, although I have yet to use one this year. Wy 1469 is one of my fav British yeast, this year I’ve tried some WLP Belgian blends, just trying some different yeasts in general. You never know unless you try new stuff.

I’ve used 1272 a lot. I like that it’s a bit fruity, but not too much so.

Notingham

Lagers get Wyeast 2206 - Denny’s favorite lager, perhaps? Ales are presently bouncing between 1728 and WL 028. But, really, I use what makes most sense for the style (I just tend to make a few beers in a row of the same style to use the same yeast over and over again and then move on to the next style.). Frankly, I am having fun with bugs and using the Wyeast Roselaere blend on a Solara style Flanders Red at the moment and for a few years going forward!

I probably use US-05 more than any other, due to the fairly clean profile and ease to store. But I can’t say it is my favorite. I really like 2206 and 2308, depending on if I want ultra clean or aggressively malty.

Pac-Man and 1968, I keep them alive year round.

I’ve never gotten around to using 1272. Does it flocc better than 1056?

I’ve never gotten around to using 1272. Does it flocc better than 1056?[/quote]
I haven’t noticed a huge difference, but I don’t use 1056/US-05 very often.

My last 9 beers in order used:

notty
windsor
WY1028
WLP013
WLP300
US-05
WLP001
WLP820
WLP007

So…no “go to” yet :slight_smile:

My real all purpose “go to” is the house yeast (unknown origin) I’ve maintained since the late 1980s.
Lately though, because my decisions to brew have been fairly spur of the moment (due to an erratic schedule) I’ve been using US 04…and have (surprisingly) been very pleased with the results across a wide range of ‘styles’, both British and American. Right now, I’m sipping a well aged porter made with the 04, and I’m quite happy.
:cheers:

In my experience, it flocculates much better than 1056. I just used 1272 this weekend. I turned my stir plate off and within 3-4 hours, there was a sticky sludge at the bottom of my flask and the spent wort was surprisingly clear.

In my experience, it flocculates much better than 1056. I just used 1272 this weekend. I turned my stir plate off and within 3-4 hours, there was a sticky sludge at the bottom of my flask and the spent wort was surprisingly clear.[/quote]

notingham floccs like a flipping rock

Rover and Roffen,

Thanks for the information on 1272. Sounds like a pretty useful stain!