What's your favorite hop for dry hopping?

I just brewed a 5 gallon pale (2 row, crystal 60 and cara-amber)
the ibu’s cam out to about 55.
I got to thinking about dry hopping, sooooooo…
Which is YOUR favorite dry hop/ why?

I like Cascade the best, and then EKG. I guess they are kind of old stand-bys compared to all of the new varieties, but they just seem to work best for me for a pale ale. For an IPA I prefer something more aggressive.

What hops did you use for late additions in your pale?

Fuggle!!! No matter the style!

Ahahha, I kid. I kid. Seriously though, I usually suppliment any flavor or amora hops I’ve alrady added during the boil with some dry hops. And yeah, Cascade is never bad.

Citra without a doubt.

Nugget!

I typically use a continuation of the aroma and flavor hop additions.

[quote=“gregscsu”]I typically use a continuation of the aroma and flavor hop additions.[/quote]+1 The go-to is Centennial if I don’t have the others.

Same here. My faves are:

Amarillo - bright citrus with some nice floral complexity. Like Cascade, but I like it a bit better.
Columbus - dank & resiny with a background of citrus
Citra - bright tropical fruit, big mango aroma

I also just brewed a single-hop APA with Motueka and liked it a lot. It has a nice fragrant lime zest and lemongrass aroma. It’s not as powerful as something like Citra, so I don’t think it can carry a hop bomb APA/IPA on its own, but I bet it would be fantastic in combo with Citra or Amarillo. Would also be nice in a light summer beer (American wheat, hoppy saison).

[quote=“Gr8abe”]I just brewed a 5 gallon pale (2 row, crystal 60 and cara-amber)
the ibu’s cam out to about 55.
I got to thinking about dry hopping, sooooooo…
Which is YOUR favorite dry hop/ why?[/quote]

More importantly, what’s YOUR favorite hop? You’re the one that’s gonna be drinking it. :slight_smile:

+3
Same for me.

I went with Cascade. Cascade has never led me astray so far, I thought about something a little sexier, but I think cascade was the right choice. I have an unfortunate penchant for using waaaay to much Crystal in my malt bill, this was the first time I really tried to minimize it, I think that was a good choice, I think cascade will be a nice compliment to the dryness of the 2 row.
Also I’m embarrassed that I never thought to continue the late hop additions into the dry hoping! Seems so obvious!

Simcoe

If you want DEAD sexy, try some of the newer Pacific rim hops (NZ, Australia, etc.). A new craft brewery by me (Union in Baltimore) solely hops their standard APA with Galaxy hops (AUS) and they are awesome! Very tropical, but still resiny. I just made an IPA with Galaxy and Zythos. Some say Nelson Sauvin are very grapey (like Sauvignon Blanc).

So many hops, so little time!

+1 to continuation of hops in th boil

If not those. Chinooks is my go to

I’ve found that if you do a strong flame-out addition, you can skip the messy dry-hop addition altogether. But if I do dry-hop, CTZ is just great.