Whats your favorite bittering hop?

Last year I brewed an amber ale using summit, simcoe, and saphir that turned out great.

I hear a lot of people complain about a garlic or onion component to summit. I’ve smelled hints of this in the pellet form, but never experienced it carrying over into the beer. BUT, I don’t use it for flavor or aroma additions.

http://www.hopunion.com/summit/

…same here: so far; however:
Our brews always welcome a dynamic flavor and/or aroma profile. Since my lovely wife and I are both from Northern California, we are used to what Nugget and Perle/Northern Brewer do for bitterness, we like the balance; I’d like to know of different profiles and how they affect flavor.

Chinook at FWH and 60 minutes. I brew primarily RIPAs and IPAs and Chinook gives me the most aggressive bittering flavor at FWH.

So far this year I have used 10 different hops to bitter.

Chinook
Citra
Columbus
Magnum
US Northern Brewer
Pacific Jade
Saaz
Simcoe
Warrior
Willamette

Just bitter baby!

:blah: …furthermore, it depends: some beers really benefit from a “hard” backbone like what you get with Chinook or Columbus; others, like Hercules, Magnum, Northern Brewer, and even Perle make for a backbone with gentle, earthy, Nobel aromas and flavors; currently, I seem to prefer these.

In other words, we don’t much like to be beer-slapped.
:cheers:

Hard to pick a favorite. but i noticed all the ipa drinkers and surrprized figured NUGGET HOPS Might be on your list. its the cleanest bitterness hop that i used in my ipa’s great bittering hop all around. i have used it in many differnt beers ales, lagers and ipa’s

…I’ve used Nugget hops a lot! But, I made no mention of them. Just goes to show, we forget what bittering hops we do use: I guess, it depends is the best answer.

With my IPAs, it really depends on what hop flavor profile I’m after. If the flavor/aroma is leaning toward the fruity Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo end of things, I like Horizon or Mangum, as “smoother” bitterness seems to set up those flavors better, to my taste.

But if I’m going piney or herbal with the hop profile, I like that “slap”, and will use something like Chinook. The extra “structure” (my awkward term) that the more noticeable bitterness provides accentuates those flavors in a way I really enjoy.

It’s really like using spices in cooking, to me. What you add earlier lays a foundation for the later additions.

Now, with malty beers, I usually use Target, because all the malty beers I brew are English or Scottish in derivation.

Magnum or Millennium for a general bittering hop. I also like to use the C hops for bittering, namely Chinook, Centennial, Columbus and Cascade.

Just ordered a pound of Warrior and pound of Summit, so I’ll be working through those for a while.

I like Nugget for bittering. I haven’t used it in awhile because of the many types of other hops I have in the freezer.
I made a Nugget/cascade IPA a few times and it was tasty. Easy on the wallet too.

There was a new generation German hop called Herkules that was available on our host site just 3 months ago or so that I used in a pale ale for bittering, and it was great. It had an AA level around 14 or 15%, I think, and it had a fantastic German character that I think carried through into the finish. I can’t find it here now, but I highly recommend it. Besides that, Chinook is a very reliable hop, and right now I’ve got another pale ale in the fermenter in which I used German Magnum for bittering. I’ll see how that one turned out after it’s had some time in the bottle, 5 or 6 weeks from now. Even after 16 years of brewing, I feel like I’ve still got plenty of experimenting to do with different varieties of hops, way too much to identify a favorite. In general, though, for the last couple of years or so, I’ve been using the new generation Australian and New Zealand hops, generally of the Hallertau derivative variety, quite a bit, and I’ve been mostly happy with them.

I like Magnum for my lagers

Chinook for American styles. I also really like Nugget 8)

magnum,warrior or c-hops depending on the style of beer.

Lately I’ve been all about the Amarillo! Of course you need to use quite a bit early for bittering, but I’ve made a couple of single hop wheat beers recently that are amazing with Amarillo.

:cheers:

I have three that I tend to use pretty frequently.

Summit, Chinook and NZ Pacific Jade.

I like the spicy flavors from hops, and due to the fact that most of my IPA brewing uses rye so far I find these to be a nice compliment to it. I’ve also used all of these as a flame out hop or dry hop addition Except NZ for dry hopping so far and found nice flavor and aroma profiles from them.

I prefer Nugget.

I’ve used pacific jade a few times and did not care for its qualities.

Is that just for bittering, or at all? I have a lb. that I haven’t used yet.