Whats everyone brewing now, ready for summer

Planning a DIPA in the next couple of weeks.

Working on a session <5% “IPA”. Kind of a boat beer.

Just finished combining a saison and a wheat into a combined secondary. I’m hoping to get the best of both yeasts. Summer project is Kviek with Brett secondaries with fruit and/or maltodextrin for a treat just for the Brett.

I could certainly add some rye to my next saison, and I may use a different yeast just to see whats out there. Only used 3724(x3) thus far…
This week when the schedule allows I’m going with a Rye pale ale, 8lbs pale 2 row, 1.5 rye malt, .5 c-40. Denny’s Favorite 50 yeast, magnum for bittering and all subsequent hops Citra. 1.053, should be a nice summer brew.

1 Like

[quote=“voodoo_donut, post:124, topic:21843”]
I may use a different yeast just to see whats out there.
[/quote]Check out the Yeast Bay Saison strains. I just used Saison Blend II for the second time (harvested so may be unblending). It has been my favorite thus far after trying nearly everything else,

Got the boat beer on the boil as I type this. I am going to do a small bittering of Galena and Columbus and then all the rest of the 6 oz of hops will be from 15 thru flameout along with a 2 oz DH at 5 days. I also plan to use the Two Hearted yeast I harvested a couple of months ago for grins. I’m pretty jazzed to taste this one. It calcs out at 4.5% so I tried mashing a little higher for body. Got the ingredients for another IPA and our NEIPA too.

Went to the brewery store for some 3711. Guy gives a pack from December. I said do you have anything fresh gave me a pack from March. Said keep the older one no charge. I’m sure it’s good so I’ll make 2 saisons. Last saison I used some rye malt and rye flakes. It was a friend’s recipe who got invited to the gabf in Denver. It was alright. I won’t brew it again. I used the brew a rye IPA with amerillo I’d like to revisit sometime

1 Like

Do think friday night a heffeweizen. Than sunday. Imperial stout. Depends friday. What time i am home sort of busy. At work. Teaching. Diving

1 Like

I’ve used rye in some brews, but I don’t quite get what I think I should from it… I’m wondering about putting the rye is my wife food processor and making it smaller than my mill can do… OR just up the quantity?I really like rye bread and crackers… Sneezles61

I(as stated) am a total noob when it comes to rye, but they do mention Rye malt being somewhat smaller and may not get milled at standard settings…most rye recipes I saw were in the 10-20% rye range, sweet spot @ 15%. Some of course much higher, 40-50% but stuck sparges a problem for MLT brewers.

Stuck sparges is a wheat thing I’ve never heard of people complaining about it with rye.

I have a 50% Rye recipe. I go with a slightly thinner mash than usual, and use rice hulls religiously.

Rye has less protein than barley (at least in Briesslania) I thought so I guess it’s not the protein causing the stickiness.

Stuck together compaction… :joy: Sneezles61

Now that the Citra Rye pale ale is at day 6 of fermentation(almost time for dry hop#1), time to set my sights on Summer easy drinker #2, my Throwback Cream Ale, later this week when I can work it in…using good ol’ 6 row and lotsa adjunct.