Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Whats Brewin this weekend?

Likely going to do a faux CAP, Jamil’s CAP with US-05 @ 60* just to keep on hand as a somewhat sessionable drinker.

Faux CAP
2-C Classic American Pilsner
Author: MCP

Size: 5.25 gal @ 68 °F
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 197.21 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.059 (1.044 - 1.060)
Terminal Gravity: 1.015 (1.010 - 1.015)
Color: 3.1 (3.0 - 6.0)
Alcohol: 5.83% (4.5% - 6.0%)
Bitterness: 38.5 (25.0 - 40.0)

Ingredients:
3.5 lb (29.7%) 6-Row Brewers Malt - added during mash
4.5 lb (38.1%) American 2-row - added during mash
3.8 lb (32.2%) Corn Flaked (Maize) - added during mash
1 oz (20.0%) Czech Saaz (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 m
1 oz (20.0%) Czech Saaz (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 20 m
1 oz (20.0%) Czech Saaz (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 10 m
1 oz (20.0%) Czech Saaz (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5 m
1 oz (20.0%) Czech Saaz (5.0%) - added during boil
0.0 ea Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05

Heading out right now to brew a Black IPA.

Sounds tasty! I brewed up a robust porter last night, hopefully do a wit on Sunday, if time allows. I want the wit to be a session-able beer. Quick and easy to brew/ferment and enjoyed by most.

I am pretty new to brewing. That looks like a lot of hops for a CAP. But I love hops and rarely are beers hoppy enough for me. Looks delicious!

Why the Czech Saaz? If it’s an American Pilsner, isn’t there an American hop that you could use instead? I know it is just a style. I am just wondering.

No criticism of the recipe meant at all. Just a noob wondering. Again, looks delicious.

I am going to try a stovetop BIAB Maibock.
I didn’t plan ahead enough for a starter, so I am going to just use dry yeast. We’ll see how it goes!

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Maibock

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Maibock/Helles Bock
Boil Time: 70 min
Batch Size: 3.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 5.25 gallons
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.068
Final Gravity: 1.019
ABV (standard): 6.38%
IBU (tinseth): 33.99
SRM (morey): 9.75

FERMENTABLES:
7.5 lb - German - Pilsner (83.3%)
1 lb - German - CaraMunich I (11.1%)
0.5 lb - German - Munich Light (5.6%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Hallertau Mittelfruh for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 4, IBU: 22.72)
1 oz - Hersbrucker for 15 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 4, IBU: 11.27)

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - Saflager - German Lager Yeast W-34/70
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 72%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 48 - 59 F

Brewing a big American IPA when done work… in the freezing cold.
First time doing a flame out hop stand, because why wouldn’t I pick one of the coldest days of the year to try a process that will prolong my brew day?

56% Pale Ale
31% Munich
13% Cane sugar

60 min 1.5oz Nugget
20 min 2oz Cascade
Post boil 30min 2oz Cascade
Dry hop 7 days 4oz Cascade

Wyeast 1272

The Beer Dabbler
100 breweries, 300+ beers, bottomless cup, and only 4 hours to try them all.
I would have to try one beer every 45 seconds to get them all, I dont think I can do it, but Im sure gonna try.

Doing my 4th of the year either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Kolsch

Recipe specifics:

Style: Kolsch
Batch size: 5.5 gal
Boil volume: 7.5 gal
OG: 1.045
FG: 1.011
Bitterness (IBU): 20.3
Color (SRM): 3.7
ABV: 4.4%

Grain/Sugars:

7.50 lb Weyermann Pilsner, 85.7%
0.75 lb Weyermann Light Munich, 8.6%
0.50 lb Wheat (US), 5.7%

Hops:

1.00 oz Saaz (AA 3.5%, Pellet) 60 min, 12.8 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz (AA 3.5%, Pellet) 30 min, 4.9 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz (AA 3.5%, Pellet) 5 min, 2.6 IBU

Yeast/Misc:

US-05 Ale Yeast, 1.0 unit(s), Yeast

[quote=“GeerBoggles”]I am pretty new to brewing. That looks like a lot of hops for a CAP. But I love hops and rarely are beers hoppy enough for me. Looks delicious!

Why the Czech Saaz? If it’s an American Pilsner, isn’t there an American hop that you could use instead? I know it is just a style. I am just wondering.

No criticism of the recipe meant at all. Just a noob wondering. Again, looks delicious.[/quote]

No, definitely good questions. Jamil actually talks about these very things prior to giving the recipe in Brewing Classic Styles.

Re: amount of hops - He basically said he kept pushing the envelope with the calculated IBU’s on this recipe, and the beer held up. The more he added, the better it was, especially when using Saaz.

Re: type of hop - traditionally you would use Clusters or Sterling, which were the hops that we grew back in the heavy CAP-production days. I’ve never used Sterlings, but I know Clusters are pretty gnarly (some say harsh). The type of hop used is largely why you use so many of them. Also, I believe both of these are descendants of Saaz.

We’ll see! Going to brew a proper CAP in a month or so with a clean, malty lager yeast. Brewing this as a quicker-turnaround beer and to see if I at least like the flavor profile.

[quote=“Pietro”][quote=“GeerBoggles”]I am pretty new to brewing. That looks like a lot of hops for a CAP. But I love hops and rarely are beers hoppy enough for me. Looks delicious!

No criticism of the recipe meant at all. Just a noob wondering. Again, looks delicious.[/quote]

No, definitely good questions. Jamil actually talks about these very things prior to giving the recipe in Brewing Classic Styles.

Re: amount of hops - He basically said he kept pushing the envelope with the calculated IBU’s on this recipe, and the beer held up. The more he added, the better it was, especially when using Saaz.

Re: type of hop - traditionally you would use Clusters or Sterling, which were the hops that we grew back in the heavy CAP-production days. I’ve never used Sterlings, but I know Clusters are pretty gnarly (some say harsh). The type of hop used is largely why you use so many of them. Also, I believe both of these are descendants of Saaz.

We’ll see! Going to brew a proper CAP in a month or so with a clean, malty lager yeast. Brewing this as a quicker-turnaround beer and to see if I at least like the flavor profile.[/quote]

Good info. Thanks for the response.

I have seen a lot of people reference the “Brewing Classic Styles” book since I started lurking on this forum. I am going to have to go pick that up this weekend.

[quote=“GeerBoggles”]I am pretty new to brewing. That looks like a lot of hops for a CAP. But I love hops and rarely are beers hoppy enough for me. Looks delicious!

Its a great great pickup. I started just taking recipes off of forums when I first went to AG, but learning to brew these recipes, that have been tried, and refined over and over again, has really helped my brewing.

Check out The Jamil Show on iTunes as well. He does an hour long show for each of the BJCP styles, and gives additional detail on the keys to brewing each.

I’m bottling my black hoppped ale today! :cheers:

Either brewing an Oatmeal stout or a Chinook IPA tomorrow. Have not decided yet.

I’m making another no-boil, lacto and brett only (no sac yeast) berliner weiss. I made one a few month ago and its so freakin good. I’m adjusting the grain bill to what I have on hand (65% wheat, 35% Maris Otter; OG 1.035), and a mash hop to ~8 IBUs. Wyeast Lacto and White Labs Trios brett.

Going for the new brunch stout from NB… Can’t wait!

No brewing for a little while, mainly because I have a bunch of stuff I need to bottle to free up some fermenter space. In the next week I’m bottling my Düsseldorf IPA (a hoppy stickebier with Polaris, Smaragd and Herkules hops), a Quad using the Unibroue yeast and a blackberry-lemon melomel that’s been sitting around since the summer.

I also need to rack my maple wine to secondary and decide what to do with 3 gallons of cider that is way too thin and dry at the moment.

[quote=“gregscsu”]The Beer Dabbler
100 breweries, 300+ beers, bottomless cup, and only 4 hours to try them all.
I would have to try one beer every 45 seconds to get them all, I dont think I can do it, but Im sure gonna try.[/quote]
So is that like one drink of each so you don’t die?

I may brew up the FW Union Jack clone on Sunday but I have a special elk permit for tomorrow so I hopefully will be hauling meat instead.

I’d like to brew but I don’t have any yeast.

[quote=“erockrph”]what to do with 3 gallons of cider that is way too thin and dry at the moment.[/quote]Add some potassium sorbate to kill of the yeast and add a can or two of frozen apple juice concentrate. Or you could freeze distill it and make some mild apple brandy.

1. Bottling a Brewers Best Black India Ale kit that my son gave me for Christmas

2. Brewing an AG batch of Surly Cynic (making the starter tonight with my new star plate)

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com